• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I will hopefully be putting a 2 speed MF1655 rear end from member bhts under my Bush Hog JBI Diesel this winter/spring. So I am preparing a good hydro for the project. I have a complete hydro unit off a MF14 to go into it, but plan to go through it before installing. I know nothing of the hydro's history, but when I removed it I found the pinion gear welded to the output shaft. So I'll end up tearing it down & completely renewing it. I have a good shaft/pinion from another unit. I also have another set of piston cylinders & wear plates they run against, but they were worn badly.
Today I had a few minutes, so placed the cylinders & plates in my lathe & refaced them. Been a while since I have done this, so just brushing up before getting into the complete hydro. The parts cleaned up very well & I have a very true flat face on all 4 parts.

Here is the complete hydro, yet to be taken apart & inspected.

DSC00609.jpg

Here are the parts from another MF14 hydro unit after machining a good surface.

DSC00606.jpg

I forgot to take "before pics", so if I have to machine parts in the complete hydro, I will be sure to take before & after pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00607.jpg
  • DSC00608.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Also, I have heard there was a "bump" on the swash plate rocker that limited reverse speed. I find no such bump in this unit at all, and I always knew reverse in the 14's was scary fast! This hydro will be ran in the reverse rotation from what it was in the Massey when placed in my JB Diesel, so I have to be sure there is no speed limiter in it's reverse, as it will now become my forward motion. The charge pump can be turned for running either rotation.
I have 2 reasons for changing out the driveline in this JB. One is because it is a single speed, which is on the high ratio side for heavy pulling such as plowing. The 2 speed will give me greater pulling power in low, while increasing my top speed in high range.
The second reason is the type of hydro. The OE Bush Hog is a hydro pump to gear motor system. This system is only 70 to 80% efficient, while hydro to fixed piston is 90% or greater efficient which equals more power to the ground.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you