• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 10:57 AM

My next door neighbor's deer farm has finally been shut down by the Ky Dept of Wildlife!
The old man of the family started deer farming before he moved next door in 1985. The deer have never been cared for in any remote way near proper. Myself & MANY other people have filed reports about it, but nobody ever did a thing to resolve things. His deer would get out a few times a week. Once one of his antlered bucks was inside a good neighbor's garage. His daughter almost got rammed by that buck when she went inside the garage. One large Red Stag even got his son-in-law down & punctured his intestines in over a dozen places!
On one occasion, the deer were snorting & bawling terribly. This was a 101F day, so I walked over (they were not home) and looked into the water tank......NOT A DROP! This happened more than several times too. He barely fed them enough to keep their ribs from showing, with some showing their ribs prominently.
I could go on & on about the problems associated with this operation, but there's not enough time in a week to put it all down in print.
The old man passed away a couple years ago, and his son has kept it going, and actually cared much better for the animals than his dad, but they shut them down due mostly poor fencing, but also for inadequate care.
The vet which handled the removal of "part" of the herd this morning stopped by afterward to try & drum up future business being he saw our dairy farm. He told me what was going on. I saw the trailers at the deer pens, so knew something was up.
The entire neighborhood will be relieved these animals will no longer suffer inadequate care & roam our yards:dancingbanana:.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 11:38 AM

Glad to hear the it's shut down since they weren't taken good care of . But I guess I'm a little dumb , what did they raise the deer for ? , Al

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Glad to hear the it's shut down since they weren't taken good care of . But I guess I'm a little dumb , what did they raise the deer for ? , Al

Actually, I never seen many go out. But I know they sell to "hunts"....you know the kind, where rich folk lay down a lot of money to shoot a deer in a small fenced section of land. A real "sportsman's hunt"! Some were sold for slaughter too as I understand. Most they have are just small European "Fallow Deer", which have very little meat on them. Nobody around here could ever figure these people out. Now I have to wonder what they will bring in to replace the deer. They've always had a few cattle & several horses, which have been a real pain too. School buses would have to stop because they would be in the road every other day. They would get into our barns & destroy bags of mineral, and once busted my jug of termite spray which stunk to high heavens for quite a while. We would see the horses & cattle come in & out of our corn fields too. It's been an endless array of animal problems since day one of them moving here, which also included raccoons. Yes, he released about a dozen semi-domesticated raccoons. They all ended up eating out of our silage pit, then shortly after, we had an abortion storm in our dairy herd due to the disease "Leptospirosis" that raccoons carry. That cost us immeasurable losses.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 12:02 PM

OK Used " Big Game Hunters" , and your right , it does seem like you could keep telling stories about the problems they have caused in your area . I'm sure your not the only one who now is happy there gone , Al

#5 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 01:24 PM

I wonder if the incident in Zanesville, Ohio had anything to with the crackdown at your neighbors?

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 01:43 PM

I wonder if the incident in Zanesville, Ohio had anything to with the crackdown at your neighbors?

I'm thinking it had an influence on it for sure. The Wildlife officials were here the very day after Zanesville hit the news! Zanesville Wednesday, officials next door Thursday.....deer hitting the road Saturday!

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Glad to hear they shut it down, and the animals will no longer be neglected

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Glad to here this, Daniel. Hope they will get out of the animal business altogether. Sounds like they were only in it for the money.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Places like that should be shut down for sure. You'd think with all the ASPCA shows on TV these days, people would be more attentive to their animals and the authorities would take reports more seriously.

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:13 PM

I am thankful that a place like this was finally shut down. These poor animals have no control about their conditions in captivity.I just can't understand how some people can treat animals so cruelly. My only wish would be that they were subjected to the same conditions for their punishment.

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 06:26 AM

I am thankful that a place like this was finally shut down. These poor animals have no control about their conditions in captivity.I just can't understand how some people can treat animals so cruelly. My only wish would be that they were subjected to the same conditions for their punishment.

:yeah_that:
What makes some people think. Lock them up with no water for a few days and they would be less likely to do so again:mad2:.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:27 PM

:iagree:
Put them on the same rations of water and food for a month. Should put some fear in them.

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Glad to hear that news Daniel. Sounds like they treated the animals terribly.