• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:02 AM

I have to apologize for blowing up this forum with new problems every week. Having no mechanical experience, I really don't know what I'm doing and much appreciate all the help here. :smile1:

That said, today while joy riding on my qt17 i heard a rhythmic clanking. The top large double pulley that engages the PTO in front of the tractor was sliding back and forth. I turned the PTO on and id did engage once, but now it will not engage at all. Nothing happens when I turn on the PTO switch except the PTO light comes on. I can move the pulley back and forth with my hand. Any ideas how should I begin fixing the problem? I have the twin Kholer engine.

Thanks!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Jake, you never have to apologize for bringing problems here. The truth is that there are many people here who enjoy helping others to solve problems. I'm one of them, but I'm not a Bolens guy. All I can say about the PTO clutch is that you need to determine what has broken and until you do it could be risky to run the tractor. You don't want that pulley to come off the shaft! I would examine it carefully and check for loose bolts or missing lock rings. I am just going be what a JD PTO looks like. If you give it some time someone in the Bolens camp will be able to help you with more specific info.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Untitled.jpg

:ditto: as mentioned above, check for anything out of the ordinary.
Check an make sure that snap ring (#55) is intact.

Can you take some pictures of that area. Mabye someone will be able to see a problem if you post a few pictures.

Dont be afraid to ask questions..Thats what us Bolens nuts are here for :D

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 07:50 PM

First check the crank bolt to make sure it is there and also the bearing in the clutch.Then make sure all the mounting bolts that mount it to the motor is in.Do not run it if it is loose as damage will happen if not already done.Also check to see if the wire is loose.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Looking at the parts diagram it looks like I a missing the cap screw. I posted a couple of pictures. I noticed some sparks comning out from behind hte PTO assembly. Would you guys buy the new cap screw and see if that fixes the problem or take the whole assembly apart and look for damage? Thanks again!1023111405.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• 1023111340.jpg
  • 1023111404.jpg

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Looking at the parts diagram it looks like I a missing the cap screw. I posted a couple of pictures. I noticed some sparks comning out from behind hte PTO assembly. Would you guys buy the new cap screw and see if that fixes the problem or take the whole assembly apart and look for damage? Thanks again![ATTACH=CONFIG]23594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23596[/ATTACH]Posted Image

It's a good thing you found this before the pulley/clutch decided to leave the motor. You are missing parts 23,26 and 21. I would take it apart and inspect it if it was mine but that is up to you. You need to make sure the new cap screw is torqued properly and also that the threads in the shaft are in good condition. Again, I am not familiar with Bolens.

#7 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Well I thought about it and figured that's the advice I would get and just took it apart, looks like I have a bigger problem then I thought. As you can see in the pictures the key is twisted and broken and the crank shaft slot appears to be broken as well, I don't think it is supposed to look that way correct? I think replaceing the crankshaft is far beyond anything I want to try, but can I run the tractor without the PTO and still use it for pulling and plowing? 1023111509.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1023111509a.jpg
  • 1023111516.jpg

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Well looks like it has been gone for some time.Now on to fixing the problem.The clutch you have looks to be completely gone.The crank can be repaired but will require a machine shop to do it.A good shop should be able to mill a new key slot in it without removal of the crank but will need the motor pulled to do it.Also i have put new slots in them but is a slow process but can be done.As for the clutch we have one that will work on the QT you have with little mods to the tractor.Also the clutch i have may work without and work being done to the crank just need to know a little bit of info to see where this new clutch will sit on the key area.Like from the back towards the front how much of the key area is hurt?

#9 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hi Bob,

I know it has been a while, but I'm finally ready to start working on this. Do you still have that clutch you mentioned? Thanks!

Jake