64 replies to this topic

#46 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:14 PM

That picture is exactly what I was hoping for. I think I got it. Stay tuned and we will see how it turns out.

Edited by sdevine, January 08, 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#47 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Okay friends, I have a linkage roughed out for the governor, and the carb is leaking so bad that it is flooding out. I ordered a carb rebuild kit from Bob's Small Engine Repair. The float needle valve was shot, and probably the high speed valve as well? Anyway, as soon as the parts come in the carb should be fine and we will be rolling. I also ordered some green lettering from a guy I found on Ebay for the hood, and I was able to modify the air vane and used a little Castaloy (castaloy.com) to hold things in place. For all you David Bradley aficionados, the 2 tractors I have are a 971.5751, and a 917.57561 Super Power. The Super Power is not so super at this point. The 5751 has received an upgraded engine mount with that improved front hitch- the guy I bought it from had an extra one that came with it and so I suppose he was planning on upgrading it. I put the wheels from the Super Power on the 5751 because the tires were cheaper. I'll get a set of tires for the other wheels later on. After a little research, I noticed that the clutch pulley should be steel, and mine is aluminum, so someone must have changed that at some point. I will put up pictures to show how I did the linkage when it is all done.

#48 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have a 5751 that is just like yours, the motor mount has the old style drawbar, but the angled slots, and the aluminum pulley.

There were quite a few changes to the older DB's.

I also have 57561 to restore next.

Edited by Amigatec, January 08, 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#49 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:58 PM

DSC_2720.JPG

Okay garden tractor friends- while it has been freezing in most parts of the country, it has been in the 70's here, so I have been hard at work doing the final assembly of the DB. The assembly episodes will follow, but I knew you would like a picture and hear about the progress. So, I put the thing together, made a linkage for the throttle and governor (watch my show website for the details on that) got it to run, did the final assembly, and have run it several times this week to actually make it operational.I tried the turn plow, but the soil here has a lot of clay in it, and it was wet so it bogged down and quit. Tried the potato plow just to see what it would do, and still too wet. Will try that again when it is drier. Hooked up the sickle bar cutter today- it shakes a lot- is that normal? Want to try the southern cultivator, but a regular plow need to happen first, right? I don't have a disc, and I am concerned that this is a critical piece. I need to refurbish all the implements, but right now I am just going to make things operational, then we will make it pretty. The tractor seems to go too fast for the cutter. Boy howdy- you've got to be on your toes or it will go on without you. Seems like there should be a little roller under the sickle bar cutter- could I be missing a piece? Stay tuned for the shows to complete the job.

Edited by sdevine, January 24, 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#50 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 08:09 PM

I plowed hard clay last summer with mine and I was impressed with it. I have my pulley set for slow speed. And yes the mower will shake good, there should be a skid plate under it, it is used to set the cut height.

#51 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 08:43 AM

if you need a disc i will send you one down. It will need some minor repairs and blasted/repainted. We just have to figure out how to get it to Texas.

Lauber,

still have that disc available? Write me an email, and let me know the details.

#52 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 03:58 PM

For those interested, I have put together an article on the TAG website about the throttle and governor linkage I created for my David Bradley. I included a link to the GTT forum. Check out the article, complete with pictures at http://www.theameric...hrottle-linkage

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#53 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:47 AM

Well Steve, for someone who doesnt really collect tractors, and really didnt know what he was doing, your coming along great now.

#54 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 03:04 AM

Can you take some pictures of your potatoe plow for me? I bought another plow that I plan to convert, but I would like to see how the potato plow is made.

#55 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Okay guys-

I have the tractor running, but there are some problems still. It will start up after sitting for a while, runs really strong, I put it in gear and get it out to the garden, and it will make about one pass before bogging down and dying. Once it dies, it will not start back up for a while. I am thinking it might be the coil is getting hot and once the load is put on it, it won't fire. I checked the points and they are working fine. Every time I check for a spark it seems fine. For a while I was thinking that the mixture needle was moving but I checked it and it says where I put it. Suggestions?

#56 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Can you take some pictures of your potatoe plow for me? I bought another plow that I plan to convert, but I would like to see how the potato plow is made.

I'll get some pictures up here later today-

#57 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 06:50 PM

DSC_2738.JPG DSC_2740.JPG DSC_2741.JPG DSC_2739.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#58 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:01 PM

That's not quite how I pictured it. I'm going to make mine out of a 57552 plow.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Amigatec, February 20, 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#59 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:15 AM

Strange looking thing. It appears to be made out other DB parts and some other stuff. The adjustable foot( 917.57550) is loosely based on a plow frame, i would say it is the 525 model.  It looks like someone took the tongue off a disc, part of the beam of a plow, some bolts and a hiller sweep from some other place. What its really missing is the foot part that adjusts the depth the blade goes down into the dirt. I think its an interesting item, you should paint it up even though its not a true DB item. I'm curious about the tag i see on the side. What would the number be on it?

#60 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:20 AM

I would have thought it would look more like a regular plow. Without the foot, wouldn't it just keep digging? I'll get some pictures up today of what I'm looking at building.