wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 02:06 AM

As most of you guys know, I don't own a Simplicity LOL. However, I have been wanting to make up a tiller for use behind my Craftsman/Caterpillar GT18. I have found a 36" Simplicity tiller on ebay that would be easy to power with a pony engine setup, but I need opinions. First of all the tiller is $200 and in Michigan, but I have a friend that can retrieve it for me and store. Secondly, I want to use a 10-12 HP Kohler K-series to power it... unless anyone has a better idea. The Kohler would have to be mounted either ahead or behind the tiller and I am thinking ahead because I would have to make a frame that supports the tiller, the engine, and hooks to sleeve hitch. But the tractor has an 18 HP opposed twin Briggs if I could get the power back to the tiller.... which would be a good feat... unless I drive the tiller off the transmission input pulley on the right side of the transmission somehow, but still complicated. What does anyone think about this plan, does anyone have a better one for me??

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 06:38 AM

Sounds like a plan but that Kohler K weighs a ton might have to make it a tow behind

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 07:44 AM

If you made it a tow behind then you could use just about any tractor in case you need to . Al

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 11:22 AM

You could drive it off the PTO with a long belt & a bunch of idlers. Back when the "Cat" was new, they had an unpowered tiller for those units. Used a ridiculous engine to tiller belt routing. Dont use the tranny belt to feed the tiller, you will be asking for troubles (belt shredding, can't move the tractor without the tiller running, etc) and the pulley for the tiller is on the wrong side anyways.

It would be much easier to self power it, the 10 should do fine and most of the sears tillers back then had 6-8 Hp on them.

Pair of dolly wheels on the back & use the sleeve to lift/lower the front should do the trick.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 12:23 PM

But is 200 a good price for this tiller, especially with it being near a friend I never visit lol. I guess I dunno if this tiller will work for what I want yet.

#6 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 03:46 PM

$200 for some fun and a good working tiller, is not too much IMHO.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 04:26 PM

Found a much simpler method of getting a 40 inch, or even 48 inch wide tiller that is self contained for behind the Caterpillar. I saw a photo of a guy on another forum that took TWO front tine tillers with the transport wheels removed and bolted them to a framework side by side. Left both engines on them, and uses it on a sleeve hitch. We all know front tine tillers are out of style, but durable, so finding a pair of them with a tilling width between 20 and 24 inches would get a really nice width. And best of all, that will be easy to find local to me. Sure, need two engines, but who cares as long as they run when you need them to.

#8 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Found a much simpler method of getting a 40 inch, or even 48 inch wide tiller that is self contained for behind the Caterpillar. I saw a photo of a guy on another forum that took TWO front tine tillers with the transport wheels removed and bolted them to a framework side by side. Left both engines on them, and uses it on a sleeve hitch. We all know front tine tillers are out of style, but durable, so finding a pair of them with a tilling width between 20 and 24 inches would get a really nice width. And best of all, that will be easy to find local to me. Sure, need two engines, but who cares as long as they run when you need them to.

I've been thinking about doing this project too. I've already done the measuring, just need to get on it. I've got a Cub cadet 24" front tine tiller that has it's way with me every spring. I want to build a frame and use it on my sleeve hitch. I figured I'd start with one tiller and if it worked well, I'll track down another on and add it on.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:51 PM

It is a simple idea that never occurred to me until I saw it, I mean the first thought is start wide and have one motor. But this two independent machines working side by side makes too much sense now that I have seen it.

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 04:26 PM

Casey, I've got the same tiller, I think, and am putting a Kohler 8HP Magnum on it. Haven't gotten very far yet and plan on modifying what I've done but will send you some pictures if you'll PM me with your email address.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hey Ronnie,
I have changed the plan to where I am not using a tiller I don't have, but instead using two Wizard front tine tillers, a 10-12 HP Kohler K series, and some angle iron. I have one Wizard already that doesn't run, Johnboggs21 has another, and I have the Kohler engine and angle iron. Total cost to finish is buying John's tiller for less than half of the Simplicity one. Still have to get it here, but as much as I need it can probably be shipped, unlike the Simplicity tiller. Still debating if I will make a 3 point conversion for my sleeve hitch so I lift/lower the engine level.

#12 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Oh, OK, when I get into doing mine I'll post pictures. Good luck on your project.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Ronnie, Great to see others builds.

#14 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hey Ronnie,
I have changed the plan to where I am not using a tiller I don't have, but instead using two Wizard front tine tillers, a 10-12 HP Kohler K series, and some angle iron. I have one Wizard already that doesn't run, Johnboggs21 has another, and I have the Kohler engine and angle iron. Total cost to finish is buying John's tiller for less than half of the Simplicity one. Still have to get it here, but as much as I need it can probably be shipped, unlike the Simplicity tiller. Still debating if I will make a 3 point conversion for my sleeve hitch so I lift/lower the engine level.

you still have to convince me that I want to part with mine LOL

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 09:14 PM

you still have to convince me that I want to part with mine LOL

Already did. :D