• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hi i just recently picked up a 1974 MF8 and before i change all the fluids i was wondering if anyone has used multi-grade synthetic or mineral oil in there engine or transmission. i live in Canada and i plan to use her for snowblowing with temperatures that can dip to the -40 range a multi-grade oil would be an advantage

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the manual for this unit is in our manuals area, it probably specs suggested oil ratings. If you go to light, it will have problems when it warms up.

#3 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:48 PM

The manual recomends 30w motor oil and 90w gear oil for the transmission, i was just wondering if anyone has experience using synthetics. AMSOIL makes these two products im interested in. Ive seen personally what too high a viscosity oil can do at low temps (spun bearings, broken oil pump shafts, fried cams etc)
AMSOIL - Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (ACD)
AMSOIL - Severe Gear® Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Gear Lube 75W-90 (SVG)

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 10:12 AM

I haven't used those products but am using the hydrostatic drive fluid in my JD2320. It is an improvement in that application. I would use the synthetic in a gearbox without question. I would also use it in the engine for high load work like blowing snow. The only drawback is the expense. You could probably use a conventional oil and change it out 3 times for the same cost.