tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'm wanting to add hydraulics to my Snapper 1600 to operate the 3 point hitch I installed this summer. Right now I'm using an electric actuator that came off a Craftsman GT6000 that operated the sleeve hitch and it's not strong enough to lift my disc plow or a three point tiller. I have an electric hydraulic pump (12 volt) that came off a 18 foot Sea Ray boat. It was used to raise and lower the out drive. Do you think this would be strong enough to work?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Does the 12v unit have a pressure listed on a tag anywhere on it ? A large diam. cylinder would help too but just move slower , if there was enough fluid in the unit to run the large cyl. , Al
An old snow plow unit might work too

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm wanting to add hydraulics to my Snapper 1600 to operate the 3 point hitch I installed this summer. Right now I'm using an electric actuator that came off a Craftsman GT6000 that operated the sleeve hitch and it's not strong enough to lift my disc plow or a three point tiller. I have an electric hydraulic pump (12 volt) that came off a 18 foot Sea Ray boat. It was used to raise and lower the out drive. Do you think this would be strong enough to work?

Is it the Mercruiser powerpak that is secured to the transom, or elsewhere in the engine compartment?
If so, I'd say yes. I've seen people inadvertantly start to lift the stern of the boat off the trailer, by powering the outdrive
into the ground. I have a power trim unit off an older 115hp Merc outboard, that I'm going to do the same thing with.
What are you going to use as a cylinder?
Do you have the togglt switches too?

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:32 AM

It's an OMC inboard/outboard unit and yes, I do still have the switches. I have the cylinder that came with the three point off my parts MF1650.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:39 AM

The flow may not be high enough if the cylinder is large. It would take a long time to lift. If it is a high pressure pump then you wouldn't need a large cylinder. GT's normally run lowish pressures and large cylinders to get the job done. You may just have to plumb it up and see how it works.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:55 AM

The 1650 Massey ran7-800 PSI @ about 6 GPM

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 11:14 AM

All you need is a whom pump at 700-800 psi and a 2" cylinder for the task of a 3 point hitch. Any extra gpm and or pressure will just add to the power of the lift. Those boat units usually ran about 1200 psi and 2-3 gpm at 1200 psi, totally awesome for the task . Now these older MF1650's ,Did they have Eaton 11 hydros? If so then they could pump 1-1.5 gpm at 600-800 psi.

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Generally MF use Sunstrand and Snapper used Eaton but that has been disputed. Sometime those Snapper can turn into Massey with a new serial plate and paint job.

#9 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Would spring assist be a more simple mod than adding hydraulics? Maybe a stronger actuator?