Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Diesel Repower using refridgerated semi trailer engines.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I've been curious about these but can't seem to find any info on conversions. Are they too big for our applications, already worn out, etc.? Seems like with all those trailers on the road, these would be plentiful on older trailers. I don't know much about diesel engines, but do like the smoke and sound. Just curious for anyone's thoughts.:beerchug:
  • JDBrian and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 12:41 PM

First welcome to GTTalk.

Those motors come in various sizes some are small enough for GTs.
The one on large trailers are 45+ HP but you can find smaller units on straight trucks.
  • hotya100 said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 01:24 PM

Some of the refer engines come with oversized oil pans that can make them difficult to use in tractor applications.

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Some of the refer engines come with oversized oil pans that can make them difficult to use in tractor applications.

That is a fact.
The 3-73 Yanmar in my 4855 hold 3gallons for oil.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'm not sure what the crankshaft would be on those. It could be a tapered shaft like on generators. They would likely have lot of hours on them by the time they were retired. Thats a source of engines I have never thought of.

#6 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone. I have wondered about these engines for a while. So I thought, who better to ask, a bunch of tractor junkies like myself.

#7 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:04 PM

The Yanmar's can have a stock oil pan put back on them, not sure about other makes.

#8 Gooch2012 OFFLINE  

Gooch2012

• Member No: 6998
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Me and some friends took one of the refer engines and placed it in an S-10. the pan was too big so we had to build a custom one. It also had the equivalent of a million miles but ran like a top. Some engines might be a bit big for most GT's, but one thing to look at is the generators that they now put on semis. They usually have one or two cylinder diesel engines. If there is a will there is a way! Good luck!
  • hotya100 and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Welcome to the forum Gooch2012. For now, this is one of my "bucket list" projects. I'm recovering from back surgery, so my doctor has put lifting restrictions on me. I've got some projects dating back a couple of years to finish up once the physical restrictions are lifted. But one of these days,......

#10 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'm recovering from back surgery, so my doctor has put lifting restrictions on me.

I recently purchased a mini chain-fall from Harbor Freight like shown at the link below to use in my conversion. While I have not actually had the chance to use it yet I do believe that it will be the perfect solution for raising and lower the heavy engine into place while I fab and fit.

http://gardentractor...mage_16155-jpg/

JN

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 02:00 PM

I have a permanent 20lb lift limit on my back. I have installed a chain hoist on a beam in my shop and did the loader, diesel conversion on the Bolens. These two now serve as my back. Things take a little longer but being retired I have the time. Go slow and use your head and everything gets done with less pain. Without my loader tractor I would be dead in the water.
Have fun.

#12 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Go slow and use your head and everything gets done with less pain. Have fun.

That's been my thoughts for a long time, then it just got to where the pain was there and the fun stopped. I then put all projects on hold. I'm not quite 2 weeks out from surgery. I don't go back to see the doctor until the end of the month. The wife has threatened me about playing with the toys until the doctor says I can. I hear you though, I've got an "A" frame, chain fall, and a ATV winch to help lift. I do need a good pry bar though. I've got a loader tractor also that I've been tinkering on, the grandson's tractor, the puller.........

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:54 PM

I hope the results of your surgery are positive. Take your time healing or you will spend the rest of your time hurting. Sorry, I had to say it.
I have 3 herniated disc, 2 compressed vertebrates, and several bone spurs in my lower back. I was on prescription pain killers for
years. Last spring I quit having to use them and the pain level has dropped dramatically. I asked the doctor about it and he figures my back
is fusing on it's own. I don't know if you have ever seen X-rays of spinal bone spurs before but it floored me when I saw mine. They are
actually the size and shape of chicken spurs. I couldn't believe it.
Anyway I hope your road to recovery is a speedy one. Take care of that wife, she sounds like a good one.

#14 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I see it's been a while since anyone posted on this but I am new and have come with some questions and info on this...
I just picked up a semi truck "Pony Pack" off of cl. I also picked up a cub 682 to put it in since there isn't a motor in the 682 currently. I think I did ok on the package deal for $500 but I will find out when I get a chance to dig into the littke kubota z483b engine that is in the pony motor setup. It turns over pretty good with the starter but there isn't any fuel or electrical hooked up so I just shorted across the starter to spin the motor over. I plan on making this into a puller but am going to wait to get it all up and running first.

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:59 PM

I just recently stripped down two of these auxiliary power units (APU's). While yours is 483cc's mine came with 550cc Yanmar's. I'm not sure what the horse power rating on yours would be mine are running at 11.5 hp. as set up. Yours could be rated higher or lower depending on how it is set up. I just purchased another Bolens GT2000 to put one of these engines in. My other one I put a Kubota Z620 (16hp) into along with a loader. Let us know how your project is coming along.