Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I dont think what happened today is good....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Is 30 what they call for, or did someone replace it with that in the past? That seems a little high.

Thats whats been in all this time, whether its the right one or not im not sure, i would have to check the manual

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Talking about fuse sizes has got me thinking , I always thought the fuse was to protect the wiring , but would a bad connection drop the voltage to the PTO and cause the amps to go high then blowing the fuse ? Or the low voltage cause the PTO to overheat ? Al

It is a bit confusing. The fuse he is referring to must be the main fuse. A PTO would not need a 30 amp fuse on it's own. 10 amps would be plenty. What happens in a bad connection is the voltage gets dropped across the connection and it starts to heat up. When the voltage across the PTO clutch drops because of this the clutch would drop out but the current is limited by the DC resistance of the coil. The coil or the wiring must be shorting out to blow a 30 amp fuse. If 30 amps is flowing through a 18 gauge wire it will heat up. I think what usually happens is the PTO fuse blows because some of the windings are shorted in the coil.. A higher value fuse is substituted and the fuse holds until the clutch coil overheats to the point where more wires short out and the fuse blows again. With 30 amps there is enough current to smoke the coil.
Lower voltage on the coil will not cause it to draw more current. If it were an AC coil that may be the case. With an AC solenoid the inductance of the coil is increased when the core is in the solenoid. This lowers the current. If the core comes out of the solenoid then the current is limited by the resistance only, which usually causes the coil to burn up. I've fixed a lot of them over the years. With DC any change in inductance does not change the current.
  • Alc and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#18 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 07:21 PM

GOOD NEWS!!! earlier this week I returned to rays mower shop to a pratically new pto!!! All new bearing and field coil and whatever else it has lol!! He said what most likely happened was that the bearing was starting to go making the pto run to hot and there for melting the field coil coating exposing the wires and blowing the fuse. Put it all back together and I was able to mow some and it works very well. Highly Recommend RAYS MOWER SHOP!!!!

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 08:26 PM

GOOD NEWS!!! earlier this week I returned to rays mower shop to a pratically new pto!!! All new bearing and field coil and whatever else it has lol!! He said what most likely happened was that the bearing was starting to go making the pto run to hot and there for melting the field coil coating exposing the wires and blowing the fuse. Put it all back together and I was able to mow some and it works very well. Highly Recommend RAYS MOWER SHOP!!!!

Good news! Nice when you can still find competent people.
Really glad no further problems because of the short. Did you ever find out the proper fuse size?

#20 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 04:04 AM

Good news! Nice when you can still find competent people.
Really glad no further problems because of the short. Did you ever find out the proper fuse size?

It a 30 amp

#21 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 09:14 AM

Highly Recommend RAYS MOWER SHOP!!!!

Do they still have their huge "boneyard" or did they clean that up again?

I went there several times, many years ago, and their yard was filled with great stuff. ......The last time I was there (several years ago) much "stuff" had been scrapped, and the older stuff was gone.

#22 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:44 AM

Do they still have their huge "boneyard" or did they clean that up again?

I went there several times, many years ago, and their yard was filled with great stuff. ......The last time I was there (several years ago) much "stuff" had been scrapped, and the older stuff was gone.

They have stuff yet but hes into jeeps now, and to be honest the stuff he has outside looks like ****, everything is rusting to hell
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you