Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I dont think what happened today is good....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:12 PM

Well I was mowing with the Troy Bilt GTX 16 when all of the sudden smoke started pouring out of the hood and grille and it smelled like an electrical burning smell. Then it shut off. Upon inspection I found the fuse to be blown. Once it was replaced it fired right back up, but the Pto Switch is no longer engauging the deck, after turning the pto switch on and off it blew the fuse again and shut the tractor off.....Put another in....Fired right back up again.......MY THEORY....ELectric Pto is Shot....Any insight on this???? Am I correct to say it is infact bad????

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'd disconnect the battery and the PTO and do a continuity test.
IDK what ohms reading you should get ( :anyone: ), but it shouldn't be a dead short. If the PTO tests OK, I'd look for a short in the wiring.. may have a rub thru or something.

#3 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'd disconnect the battery and the PTO and do a continuity test I'd look for a short in the wiring.. may have a rub thru or something.

:ditto:

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'd disconnect the battery and the PTO and do a continuity test.
IDK what ohms reading you should get ( :anyone: ), but it shouldn't be a dead short. If the PTO tests OK, I'd look for a short in the wiring.. may have a rub thru or something.

:ditto: :ditto:

IDK about the Bolens electric PTO's, but a co-worker had to test one last year and said that the coil on his was about 50 ohms. There may be a resource where you can find that info...service manual maybe? Best of luck

#5 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 03:48 AM

ok, so i unplug the battery and the wire down at the pto....then I check ohms....How do I check ohms???? Do I put the positive on the one connector and the neg. on the other one( from the wires that come out from the pto plug)???

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:08 AM

There should be 2 wires coming from the PTO unit. You want to measure there. 2 ohm would be bad, infinity also, my guess would be in the 40 to 80 range, but that is just a guess. Don't forget to shake things a bit, simulating running and moving. If this reads OK, then onto the tractor wiring.
I suppose checking the tractor wiring could be done from the other side of the plug, if the battery is off, measure the resistance between the 2 wires. You will want to try it switch on, off, seat switch on, off, every combo... Should have infinity (no continuity) at all times unless some dash lamp or relay is in the system, then you could get something. Let us know what you find, PTO and wiring with switch off first.

Good luck!

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:13 AM

The other part of the test should be to check the continuity of the wires to ground. That should read open.

#8 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Just pulled the sides and hood off of it to find the connector where the wiring for the pto to be fused together, I had to cut the connector apart to get them apart. Also With putting the one lead on one side and the other lead on the other side, I only get ( .2 Ohms ) And from what you guys said that means the pto is bad???? Also I did this without disconnecting the battery but like I said the pto was disconnected from the wiring....

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:46 AM

.2 ohms would prolly be your resistance to ground. the clutch should have about 3 ohms. you can try rewinding the coil

#10 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Took the mower to the shop today to find the pto is infact bad. Rays Mower Shop is going to see if they can rebuild or replace it....damn tractor....fingers crossed guys otherwise this will not be mowing anymore...

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 04:17 PM

That bites. The PTO's typically draw several amps and the resistance is in the 3-4 ohms range. I'd be trying to find out where all the smoke was coming from. If the fuse was replaced with a larger one you may have damaged the wiring as well as the PTO coil. The whole circuit should be checked for overheated contacts and wiring.
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:40 AM

That bites. The PTO's typically draw several amps and the resistance is in the 3-4 ohms range. I'd be trying to find out where all the smoke was coming from. If the fuse was replaced with a larger one you may have damaged the wiring as well as the PTO coil. The whole circuit should be checked for overheated contacts and wiring.

The fuse that was in it was a 30 amp, I did not have any so I replaced it with a 25 amp. It will blow the fuse faster than the 30, but because it is not above the 30 amp requirement no damage will occur or atleast it shouldnt....

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 06:28 AM

The fuse that was in it was a 30 amp, I did not have any so I replaced it with a 25 amp. It will blow the fuse faster than the 30, but because it is not above the 30 amp requirement no damage will occur or atleast it shouldnt....

Is 30 what they call for, or did someone replace it with that in the past? That seems a little high.

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:29 AM

Talking about fuse sizes has got me thinking , I always thought the fuse was to protect the wiring , but would a bad connection drop the voltage to the PTO and cause the amps to go high then blowing the fuse ? Or the low voltage cause the PTO to overheat ? Al

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:08 AM

Good luck with this problem. I just looked up your pto clutch and the part number is 1772076. Unfortunately, it's not readily available new anymore. Maybe one of the Bolens parts / restoration places will still stock a few?

I also went through the bad coil problem with my GTX-18 but it uses a different clutch that was also not readily available. I ended up getting mine from member BHTS. It wasn't cheap but at least he had one and his price was a bit better than anywhere else I could find it. Plus he was a good guy to deal with.

Bye the way, if I remember correctly, the manual said my clutch resistance was supposed to be around 40 ohm. It was less than 20 ohm and would only engage intermittently when cold. If I left it on I was ok but if I had to turn it off and then wanted to re-engage I had to let it cool for a while.

Edited by Canawler, October 19, 2011 - 10:21 AM.