#1 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 07:56 PM

ok i dont come in here very often but i was looking to get a bit of advise on a rear engine snapper im looking to buy an older one for my father in law for christmas is there anything particular i should be looking for on these machines? i have found a pair of them on craigslist for 250 bucks with a bunch of spare parts and it says one of them has been redone.. i have no clue what the market value of these machines are, anyone have a clue?

#2 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 08:14 PM

They are great little machings. very simple and built very tough. as long as the clutch seems to work good there are really nothing to go wrong with them. engines are common and most brand new ones bolt right in if you want to repower. they built a gazilion of them too so parts are easy to find.

Hope this helps....
  • pumpkintoter said thank you

#3 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Stoneman that helps..

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:26 PM

I do know they mow very well! The large single blade does a super slick cut. And the rear bars are made so where you just grab the front end, raise her up & she'll just stand on her own on the bars while you service the blades. As to selling prices....I have no idea. I've known several people with those mowers & no complaints about the outfit! One lady up the road has & still is using the same one for over 25 years....never rebuilt!

#5 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:38 PM

If my memory serves me correctly the transmission is a pressure plate. The Briggs motors on them are good. The pressure plate wears after a while. I mowed with one for a couple years and it worked alright. Did have a scalping issue on the sides but I think that's common with snapper. The three snapper ztr's my dad has owned do the same thing.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Yes, I believe it was a rotating smooth plate, with a rubber faced wheel that slid across one side of the plate, which changed the gear ratio. Final drive was roller chain. Sliding across the center line of the plate caused it to run in reverse.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yes, I believe it was a rotating smooth plate, with a rubber faced wheel that slid across one side of the plate, which changed the gear ratio. Final drive was roller chain. Sliding across the center line of the plate caused it to run in reverse.

Thats the same type of drive commonly found in walk behind snowblowers. It is simple and easy to repair but the weakness is that the rubber wheel usually wears out or gets contaminated from grease,oil or rubber residue from belt wear. Then it slips and you have to service it. It does work surprisingly well for something so simple.

#8 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 07:27 PM

well i got em ill get picks up as soon as i get back home. i came through the house jumped out of the semi into the pickup drove 45 min picked em up then 45 min back home got in the semi and kept on hammering down.. didnt even get to unload them ill get some pics up when i get home. i even got a better deal on them than i had hoped :)