• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:41 PM

I can't even tell how the armature would come off the crank unless it will just pull off. I thought there would be set screws somewhere. The way that bushing is worn on this one it is almost impossible to tell what is part of the bushing and what isn't.

No setscrews...just slides off...well, supposed to! All that holds everything in place is the bolt & washer in end of crank. Your bushing seized due to a bearing at one time locking up & heating/fusing the bushing to the crank.

#77 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:46 PM

I guess I will try the puller on it tomorrow and see if I can get it to slide off. I wonder if I can just make a new bushing. I don't have a lathe but I could drill one out. The bearing that was in it seemed alright to me. I think if I can get the thing to slide off maybe it will give me a better understanding of what it is supposed to be LOL

#78 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:49 PM

I guess I will try the puller on it tomorrow and see if I can get it to slide off. I wonder if I can just make a new bushing. I don't have a lathe but I could drill one out. The bearing that was in it seemed alright to me. I think if I can get the thing to slide off maybe it will give me a better understanding of what it is supposed to be LOL

Just wait to see what that ebay clutch goes to. If you can land that cheap enough to afford, then not only would you have the bushing, but you'd also have a good plate w/fingers.

#79 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hey George. I see you were looking into getting brake pads. I had a Ford LGT17 that appears to have the same hydrostat as the 1855 and those pads were gone too. There was a set of front brake pads for my Camry laying around so I took a chisel and and broke the pad material off the backing plate, cut it to shape and fit it into the "socket". Worked great but ruined my Camry brake job. I still have the "ruined" set around here somewhere and I'll probably do the same for my 1855.

Regards,
Canie

#80 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey George. I see you were looking into getting brake pads. I had a Ford LGT17 that appears to have the same hydrostat as the 1855 and those pads were gone too. There was a set of front brake pads for my Camry laying around so I took a chisel and and broke the pad material off the backing plate, cut it to shape and fit it into the "socket". Worked great but ruined my Camry brake job. I still have the "ruined" set around here somewhere and I'll probably do the same for my 1855.

Regards,
Canie

That is a great idea for the Massey anyway, sorry about the Camry's luck LOL

I gotta get some more work done on my 1655 sometime soon. I got to mess with it this past weekend trying to eliminate the surging and seems to be taken care of. It has been repowered with an Onan Performer 20hp. Has a ticking on the passenger side, need to check the valve adjustment or it might just be an exhaust leak. I also need to get two new belts for the hydro driveshaft.

#81 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 01:54 AM

Congrats on your find and purchase! If memory seves me right I think i have a used electric clutch around here if your needing it.......never tried it but came off a running/working tractor supposably......i bought it off ebay. I have a complete brand new assembly sitting on the shelf so no longer need this one. Let me know! Luke

#82 nova ss OFFLINE  

nova ss

• Member No: 1473
  • 8 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 02:23 AM

Looks like a hell of a buy

#83 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:40 AM

George - I saw this on eBay. I don't know if its compatible: john deere 318 pto clutch onan - eBay (item 300529956691 end time Feb-28-11 18:58:58 PST)
It looks like it only has one pulley.

#84 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 07:00 AM

it's got two here is a pic of mine2010_05300016.jpg

#85 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I can't remember if I had ever updated this thread or not about the pto being fixed. Daniel sent me the rivets and plate and I was able to get it all fixed up. I just have to decide if I am going to attempt fixing the mower deck or sell it for parts. The body of deck is pretty much shot. I have a snow blower for the 1655 but I don't know if I have all of the stuff to put it on. I think I am missing a couple brackets but I haven't gotten to the point yet where I attempted to try.