• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

venisonslayer128

• Member No: 5521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 09:24 PM

So some casual internet browsing led me to an Original.. seller wanted $800.. it has a Sears blade, a K181T spare engine, spare set of brand new ag tires, IH weights and a bunch of goofy junk on it.. it honestly runs like a Swiss watch i paid $650 and i have a sears blade and possibly a K181T engine for sale

i believe its a 1962 but its too dark to check right now

i'll post pictures tomorrow.. I NEED A GRILLE INSERT!!!!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like an interesting tractor. Looking forward to the pics.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 04:27 AM

Those can be nice tractors.Also waiting for pics.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,302 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:25 PM

You can use Metal Plaster Lath if you can't find a replacement grill.I used a chunk on my Cub 127,turned out pretty good.

Posted Image

Home Depot and Lowes of any decent sized home improvement or hardware store should have it in stock,by the foot.
You can get it in many different thicknesses and hole shapes.

http://www.homedepot...ath-141085.html
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I used a piece of expanded metal I had sitting on the shelf for a grill screen in my Gilson M-7 and it turned out awesome. It looks nothing like the original grill screen would have, but it actually looks better than the original screen ever would have.

#6 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

venisonslayer128

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:00 AM

i used expanded sheet metal i found on the scrap rack in my shop.. about those pics.. yeah so the dog got a hold of the camera.. so no pics for like 2 months.. gave me an excuse to buy the wife one for christmas as long as i could use it when i wanted! pics coming this week for sure.. also i found a guy with fenders and a grille along with an emblem.. he says the fenders are worth $250 restored and their well sought after not that I didn't know.. then he asks if I want the Grille AND the emblen And the fender mounting pan.. we could work out a package deal..

my first question is I understand the fenders are rare but just because one guy wanted fenders really bad and paid in my case !/3 what the whole tractor is worth doesnt mean thats "fair market value" it just means he wanted them really bad.. are they worth $250 restored?

my second question is.. Am I being too nice of a guy who says.. okay you need a grille to finish off your restoration? I have one in fair shape.. heres the emblem and everything you need for a reasonable price? y'know heres 4 brand new bolts for it.. I'm looking foreward to seeing it finished! Not, "well i want $100 for the grille and $25 for the emblem and $50 for the grille support and $200 for the fenders and $75 for the mounting pan and those are all firm prices but we can work out a package deal" I thought as collectors we were supposed to help eachother out in preserving the history.. i'll rebuild your engine you paint my tractor.. not you want these parts so i'm going to price them as high as I can to get the most out of you..

pardon my rant

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:07 PM

The "COMPLETE" fender assembly with the pan and the two fenders will bring anywhere from $150-300 depending on how good of shape they are. Expect in most cases to be in the upper range of that price. Also look on the fender pan and see if it is cracked or not. There is a slot in the fender pan where they tend to crack at and usually need welded. The pan is needed to attach the fenders on an Original as they attach to that alone and not onto the frame rails and rear axles like the other round fenders Cubs do. $100 for the actual grill sounds high to me, the emblem is about at the going price for them (I believe they are the same as some of the big IH tractors but would have to double check that). When you say grill support are you talking about the cast grill surround? If so that price is WAYYYYY outta line. I know a gentleman that sells them for next to nothing (or at least he used to) as they are not normally something that breaks and the demand is not there for them. Send me a PM and I can get his information to you.

#8 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

venisonslayer128

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 02:54 AM

NO sir he wants $175 for the grille and emblem with that little piece of flat bar the IH emblem bolts to.. i have a grille and i made it myself in 20 minutes its not proper but from 15 feet away it looks right.. i'll try and post some pics tomorrow..

I feel like its probly a good opportunity to get the parts i need to do up my Original after my 128 puller (almost done) I also feel like i am totally getting screwed by some person who THINKS he's got $1000 in parts just because its a collectors item and people want it..

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:50 PM

"$100 for the grille and $25 for the emblem and $50 for the grille support and $200 for the fenders and $75 for the mounting pan and those are all firm prices"

Are these prices in Ontario close to you or will you have shipping and/or pickup costs too? Really nice fenders and pan in U.S. dollars the $275 would be my top end. The emblem can easy go $25 around me if its clean more like $35 U.S. ($50 if it is VERY nice) The grill and shell I agree are WAY TOO HIGH (U.S. or Canadian)
I know everything is worth what we are willing to pay, but I think I'd keep looking...

#10 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Congrats on your new purchase.