• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm having a tough time figuring out if I have an Eaton Hydro or not :wallbanging:..looking at the service manual I was pretty sure I have an Eaton which requires SAE 20. However when I check the oil level I clearly have Automatic Transmission fluid in the hydro now..which makes me think its a sundstrand. Eaton requires oil Sundstrand requires ATF. It's possible that the pervious owner made a mistake..if so should the hydro still work ok? Is there an easy way to know for sure which hydro I have? Also when the manual says "SAE 20" is that any 20 weight oil as in 5w-20 ? Thanks!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Eatons also use ATF. Depends on make/model of tractor. If your pump is round with cooling fins....it's an Eaton. Sundtrands can also use 30wt motor oil for heavy duty use in hot temps.
  • bhts said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:01 PM

If you are refering to the QT17 it has a eaton 11 in it.I have seen atf in them before and seams to never hurt them.But if it was me i would change it and i use a utf fluid or the 20 weight.I don't belive SAE 20 weight is the same as 5w-20

#4 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 12:36 AM

When oil numbers like 5w- 20, it means the oil will not get any thinner than 5w when hot and not thicker than 20w when cold
hydros often call out straight weight to maintain consistancy, I've got all brand hydros in assorted brand tractors, they all call for something different, the only place i've seen trouble is when the wrong oil was put in deere and cubs, it built up excessive heat, like it was by-passing, when the right oil was put in they were ok again

#5 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and put the 5w 20 inand it seems to be working fine. It does get a little jittery at times. I could not find any sae 20 heavier then 5w but since its almost winter here I think it will work fine.

#6 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:29 AM

I have three QT17's and they all have ATF. ATF is recommended if you live in a place with real cold winters, like here in Canada. True hydro fluid will not work well at -30.

Bob

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:38 AM

maybe try hygard? it seems to almost be a mix of motor oil and ATF.

Which Hygard specification would you recommend? They have several depending on temperature and application.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:29 PM

well from what im aware of there low viscosity hygard and hygard. i run hygard in my ht20 and i feel it puts more power to the wheels then it did with ATF. lowvis hygard people say in older machines when it gets hot sometimes performace goes down. so id recommend the regular. i think the bottle shows a chart with temps on it but ill have to go to the shed and check on that.

Eaton models 6, 7, & 11 are compatible with most hydraulic/trans oils but possibly not Hygard, as Hygard has compatability issues with some yellow metals such as bronze used in hydrostatic transmissions. While it "may" be ok, it's not worth the risk to find out, therefore I will not recommend Hygard for use in hydrostatic transmissions of any type, due to most if not all hydro units having bronze components.
I have seen the insides of many hydro's that ran the wrong oil. The bronze face plates are always worn away. Almost all makes of hydro DO specify motor oils as the proper lubricant. Some say 10W30, some 10W40, and other weights. I stick with what I KNOW will work fine. When John Deere says their Hygard can have compatability issues with bronze, then it's best to steer clean away from it!
  • bhts said thank you

#9 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:40 PM

so this is an eaton, by the sound of it i figured nobody knew what it was. and sundstrands use ATF normally and hygard is an acceptable replacement for ATF.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:43 PM

so this is an eaton, by the sound of it i figured nobody knew what it was. and sundstrands use ATF normally and hygard is an acceptable replacement for ATF.

I REPEAT: When John Deere says their Hygard can have compatability issues with bronze, then it's best to steer clean away from it! Sundstrand hydro's also have bronze in their units!
Did you even read all my post? :wallbanging:

#11 bhts ONLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:27 PM

Eaton models 6, 7, & 11 are compatible with most hydraulic/trans oils but possibly not Hygard, as Hygard has compatability issues with some yellow metals such as bronze used in hydrostatic transmissions. While it "may" be ok, it's not worth the risk to find out, therefore I will not recommend Hygard for use in hydrostatic transmissions of any type, due to most if not all hydro units having bronze components.
I have seen the insides of many hydro's that ran the wrong oil. The bronze face plates are always worn away. Almost all makes of hydro DO specify motor oils as the proper lubricant. Some say 10W30, some 10W40, and other weights. I stick with what I KNOW will work fine. When John Deere says their Hygard can have compatability issues with bronze, then it's best to steer clean away from it!

:ditto:

Could not said it better.

#12 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:28 PM

I REPEAT: When John Deere says their Hygard can have compatability issues with bronze, then it's best to steer clean away from it! Sundstrand hydro's also have bronze in their units!
Did you even read all my post? :wallbanging:

See Dan i read you post :poke::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#13 AdrianR OFFLINE  

AdrianR

• Member No: 2148
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Just my 2 cents, International harvester is king of the Hydro--we have 30 80-110 hp tractor which date back to the late 60's. Hytran has been used for years in all. I would think that unless you are using your tractor 10 hrs per day every day a good hydro oil will not affect the pump.