• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:27 PM

so if anyone has read the diesel repower forum im putting a kubota engine in my bolens ht20. and for a few parts of the fabrication im going to use 1/2" steel plate. i have never looked for this stuff before so where are good places to find steel plate? junk/salvage yard? homedepot, which i doubt but i figure id put it out there anyway.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Anywhere that sells steel in large amounts. Possibly a junk yard.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:50 PM

If you were looking for new stuff, go to a welding supply house or a company that does welding. If nothing in your town, try the next town with a presence of manufacturing. If you get it from someone knowledgeable, they may even be willing to tell you the differences in the properties, as not all steel is viable for any given purpose. Some hardened steel does not like flexing or shock, etc...

#4 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:59 PM

yeah if there wasnt 4 deadbeat towns including mine in the 40 mile radius id go to a supply house but i might just go to one of the 6 junk yards. gotta love living in PA

#5 Gibby ONLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:32 PM

Are you sure 1/2" plate will be strong enough?

#6 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:44 PM

yeah, i couldnt imagine any thicker. it depends on what grade i get ect.

#7 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 07:21 PM

There's an online metals source called "Metals Depot" where you can get the 1/2" steel plate but it's not cheap, about $29 per square foot plus shipping. There is also a place here in Atlanta GA called "Metals Supermarket" where I get my steel. They have "cut-offs" that you can get at a good discount from the regular price. They will even cut it to your specifications for a reasonable charge. I usually make several trips over there looking through their cut-off pile to find something I can use for a project.

#8 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 07:49 PM

yeah for 29 bucks a square foot ill go pick around the junk yards. because id like some extra steel for oops cuts. or holes drill off by a little. so yeah they can forget it at that price. plus the locals at the junkyards usually give kids a break if its for a grad project.

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:04 PM

If you look in the yellow pages under steel there should be a few listings for local places that sell steel.

#10 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 09:56 PM

yeah, i couldnt imagine any thicker. it depends on what grade i get ect.

I was being sarcastic, I can't think of anything on any garden tractor that needs to made out of 1/2" plate. There's overkill, then there's 1/2" plate.

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 09:59 PM

i was gonna say, i almost thought about 3/4" when you said that. but its basically gonna hold my drive shaft to my kubota engine, and i plan on donating alot of snow to the neighbors this winter so i dont need a mechanical failure while adding to the neighbors snow piles.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 07:47 AM

What parts are you going to fabricate with the 1/2" plate? I can't imaging needing it that thick.Sure ,it needs to be strong,but not overkill.Plus, 1/2" isn't cheap either.

#13 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 11:46 AM

This may be a shot in the dark but my OPE guy and I just got all our steel from a local Amish fabricator (His Uncle), and even paying full retail from him it was still cheaper than one of the supply houses.

3/4 of it was 1/2" plate (both of us are bad for over-engineering) and he cut it all to dimension for us total cost for it was $29 for 45 lbs.

Were making mounts for both of our dozer blades and his snow blower, I offered to buy the steel if he would weld them up so it worked out to both our benefits.

I'm not sure if it would be viable for you but it worked out well for me so it may be a good option for you also ?

Ron

P.S. I think 1/2" plate should be fine for just about anything even mounting a heavy engine.

#14 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 15, 2011 - 12:35 PM

ok so i got my 4 inch hole saw. 35 bucks for everything i needed. it cuts through stainless sheet metal nice but for the thicker stuff im going to bring it to school and use the massive drill press, to eliminate error margin. i know my makite drill can do it but why use my own stuff when i can use something 20 times stronger. the theory behind the 1/2 inch plate is that why risk under engineering it. also these kubotas are supposed to put out alot of torque, so i wouldnt want lets say 1/4" steel fabrication bending or getting mangled. i only wanna do this once lol.

#15 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:44 PM

well i asked around school and apparently power mechanics shop has a plasma cutter and can cut it, for free. so i got a hole saw ill maybe use again, but w/e ill buy the steel then bring it to school to get it cut.