• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gcaldicott OFFLINE  

gcaldicott

• Member No: 6616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 02:29 PM

I recently rebuilt the K321 in my JD 314. I replaced the Piston, rod, rings, valves and all seals. The engine has power and runs ok, but it has a rattling/ticking sound and sometimes misfires making a slight popping sound. I have reset valve clearances, replaced the spark plug and condensor, rebuilt the carburetor. The sound is most noticeable at mid RPMs. I am at a loss. Following is a link to a Video of the engine running: Kohler 321 Ticking Sound - YouTube

Thanks,

Greg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. I hear what you mean Greg. I just did some work on the engine in my 314 this summer. It does not have that ticking you are hearing. It almost sounds like tappet noise in an OHV engine. As far as the misfires go mine does that some as well. I haven't been able to totally eliminate it. Mine was running lean which was part of the problem. The idle speed should not go below 2100 on these. The vibration gets worse below that. I don't have much experience with these engines so I'll leave diagnosis of the noise to the more experienced. If you haven't done it lately check your points for condition and gap. If they are out of adjustment it can cause some strange things to happen.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Anyone out there had a listen to this Kohler. What do you think?

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 12:01 PM

How fast is that thing screaming? lol

If the rod/crankpin and wristpin clearance is good, nuts are tight I wouldnt worry about it

#5 fcfd988 OFFLINE  

fcfd988

• Member No: 6960
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 12:19 AM

Did you have the block machined? I have a K321 out of my 314 I plan to re-build and am contemplating whether or not to simply replace parts or have it bored.

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Only thing I could think of would be the balance gears.

#7 gcaldicott OFFLINE  

gcaldicott

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:55 AM

I honed the cylinder. It did not need to be bored. I used a standard size piston. I replaced the piston, rings and valves.

#8 gcaldicott OFFLINE  

gcaldicott

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:56 AM

The engine does not have balance gears. There were no pins in the block, so I assume it never had balance gears.

#9 gcaldicott OFFLINE  

gcaldicott

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Membersof the WFM forum believe that the rattling could be caused by camshaft endplay.I don't recall the camshaft clearance upon reassembly. I used the same spacerwashers that came out when I tore the engine down. If the noise is the resultof camshaft end play, I may leave it be for now since it most likely is notcausing any further harm to the engine. The noise is only noticeable at midthrottle and when not under load. As much as it bothers me to hear the chatter,it would be a pain to pull it all apart again.

#10 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:13 PM

I would love to rebuild my 341, but I don't have the confidence in my abilities to put it back together. I have to save the money to pay someone to do it for me. Good luck.