Garden Tractor Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vote Now for Ugly Tractor of the Month of November 2011!

11K views 96 replies 21 participants last post by  NUTNDUN 
#1 ·
Vote Now for Ugly Tractor of the Month for November!
Bush Hog V4-6 - olcowhand 106.62%
Bolens 800 - mjodrey 53.31%
Panzer 1107 - 1978murray 53.31%
Cub Cadet Original - new restorer 2315.23%
Sears SS12 - IamSherwood 127.95%
Sears GTV/16 - KennyP 74.64%
Bolens 1053 - bolens1053 42.65%
Moto-Mower - skyrdr2 74.64%
Massey MF12 - MH81 6341.72%
Cub Cadet 1650 - steve johnson159.93%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Voting for GTtalk's Ugly Tractor of the Month for the month of November 2011 has now officially started and will end the last day of October. The theme for this month is "Ugly Tractor - The Second Season".

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of November starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• 68 Bush Hog V4-6 - olcowhand
  • 63 Bolens 800 - mjodrey
  • 68 Panzer 1107 - 1978murray
  • 61 Cub Cadet Original - new restorer
  • 68 Sears SS12 - IamSherwood
  • Sears GTV/16 - KennyP
  • 70 Bolens 1053 - bolens1053
  • Moto-Mower - skyrdr2
  • Massey MF12 - MH81
  • Cub Cadet 1650 - steve johnson

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

Make sure you vote for the tractor that you feel is the ugliest. Also remember that the winner will be featured in LAGT Magazine as well. Nothing like having an Ugly tractor featured in a magazine :D

#3 ·
Let the UGLY begin!

I would like to nominate my 1968 Bush Hog V4-6. I bought this from GTT member "dryrun" up in English Indiana on 11/13/2010. It was rough as a cob & still is. Original engine was a Tecumseh HH60, but for now it has a TEC 8hp till I can find an original.
This uses a variable sheave pulley system as used in many other makes, coupled to a 4 speed transaxle. The sheet metal is identical to that of the Bush Hog D4-10, and that's good, as it was missing a rear fender, and I had a parts D4-10 to get a fender from. It has a sleeve hitch lift system. All very heavy built, with 1" front spindles & 4 bolt hubs like on trailers.
Eventually I will restore this one, but it will be a long time coming. For now, she'll just stay UGLY! LOL

View attachment 22308 View attachment 22306 View attachment 22307

Attachments

#4 ·
UGLY at it's finest !

Alright,I found a partial second picture of my 1963 Bolens 800,so I would like to nominate this one instead of the Cub Cadet.

It is about as ugly as they come.I bought it in 2005,from a guy in Nictaux N.S. It was quite by accident that I found it,I was there in the area for another reason altogether. I was buying an old International Cub RER,and happened to look over across the field and saw what looked like an old small tractor. I asked the guy about it,but He didn't know anything about it.He told me to go see his neighbor ,so I went next door to speak with this gentleman. When he came out ,I told him I had noticed an old tractor in his back field and was wondering what it was.He said that it was an old Bolens,and it had been there for 18 years just sitting under a tree.I asked if I could go look at it,and he said sure.

So I walk back through this field until I was close enough to see what it was,and thought,I got to have this.It was all there,the engine was not seized,but most all of the paint was weathered right off.I went back and asked the guy if he would sell it,and he said yes he would sell it,but wanted $100 for it.I gave his what he was asking ,and then went and got my truck and trailer from next door .I had to winch it on the trailer,as the lock pin on the rear axle was seized.

Got it home,unloaded it,and blew off 18 years of pine needles,and there are no rust holes anywhere in the sheet metal.Now it is on my restore list for sometime in the future.It does run and drive,I have had it over to my neighbor's place a few times.

Attachments

#5 ·
View attachment 22357 View attachment 22355 I would like to nominate my 1968 panzer 1107.

I got this tractor out of a barn in june of 2011. When i got it the tractor had a straight stack and 2 2x4s as a seat. The tractor also ran horrible. It would crack and pop and had no power. But that was all about to change.
View attachment 22350 View attachment 22353 View attachment 22354
Once i got the tractor it became my baby. I put the fenders on it, washed it, took the stack off, and got it to run perfect. Then on july 16-17 I took it to the fort allen antique farm equiptment assosiation summer fun fest and took 2nd place in ugliest tractor. I lost to a ford 8n t

hat someone painted with a mop and put flames on the hood than sat it outside for 30 years. This tractor is truly a ugly machine.
View attachment 22351 View attachment 22358 View attachment 22352

Attachments

#6 ·
I would like to nominate my 1961 cub cadet original.I bought this sight unseen,when i got brought to my house from West Virginia,the steering column, cam follower was broken off fixed that both front tires were seized. Got them freed-up and time tried to start it.While my2 cans off pb blaster was soaking all the rusted bolts i took the tractor down to the frame and engine then put it back like it was.Iwas suprised that i did not round off or break any bolts. Time to start.

Getting it started was no problem but, getting it to move was. It would only go in 1st and reverse and had to take the shifter plate off and free-up shifting board. The only other thing I have done to it was re-build the carburator. The serial # on the tractor is 2359 which means it was produced in Feburary 1961.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm going to add my ugly one into the pot. It's a 1968 Sears SS12. I got it mid July this summer. It came with a Sears sickle bar mower, which
I am working on now. Also came with some part of what was a snowblower. It's all original, tires, engine. I've had it in the shop over the last
week, and have given it the once over. I've done a few alterations to it while it's been in the shop. As it was, as an original, it wasn't really
all that ugly, but now I think it could pass.

I've been telling my wife, that it's her new snowmobile. I've got some ugly looks for that. I plan on using it on hard pack trails, as toy, but the
main reason for the ski setup, and duals with chains, is to help me out in my mini winter logging hobby. I have a couple of swamps to cross, and
often they are slippery ice like a skating rink. My twin track snowmobile without studs in the track, just spins on that stuff. I'm hoping this SS12
will pick up the slack. We'll see. She starts and runs great. During the summer, I'll switch over to rubber on the front, and use it for sickle mowing
duty. I think it looks like some kind of a bug.

Attachments

#8 ·
I would like to nominate my Sears GTV/16 for this month. This is the first GT I got back about 1989. It was given to me by a friend. The motor was blown and had been removed. I happened to have an Onan B43 that had also been given to me, so I made a new motor mount and installed it. The tractor came with a the 917.252312 sleeve hitch and a 917.252390 grader blade.
I have used this tractor for moving lots of dirt and to pull my large engine hoist when pulling motors. Some day, I hope to put some new paint on her, but as of now this is what she looks like. This is one tough old tractor and I hope to change her name from Ol' Ugly to something more fitting.
View attachment 22445 View attachment 22446 View attachment 22447 View attachment 22448
My thanks to ducky for the back tires, as the originals had major sidewall problems. Those 26 X12's look real good on her.

Attachments

#9 ·
View attachment 22513 View attachment 22514 I would like to nominate my 1970 Bolens 1053 I got it back in November last year. I had wanted a garden tractor for a long time. I was looking for a wheel horse or a john deere. One of my family members sent me an email with a 1970 bolens 1053 it was the cheapest garden tractor I had seen so I took my chance wile I could. It ran after a little work but you couldnt shift it in gear because the clutch was sticking so we had to take apart the whole drive train and got the clutch off of it. we hit it on the work bench and the clutch finally separated like it should. another problems was it wouldn't charge the battery. We looked at it for hours and hours. we finally got the problem down to the starter generator. So we got a refurbished one and it solved that problem. It had a mower deck with it two but it needed bearings badly. I have learned a lot from fixing it up it was fun.

Attachments

#10 ·
OK , I'll do it , I would like to nominate my 1960's Moto-Mower I got this tractor from a great friend of mine way back in 1992.
we decided to biuld and operate an r/c race track and needed a tractor to groom with. well the engine was shot and rapped like crazy. I took it off and brought it to an engine shop that I knew was incredible, (had nascar titles for his engines on the walls and did an Olds engine for me that was rediculous) anyways it was bored and balanced and I reassembled it and put it back in . Well that engine has many many hours on it pulling a roller, water wagon and center grader blade in very hostile conditions and it is still going strong today! Starts every time and pulls like crazy! Oh and its only a 8 hp Kohler. Right now she is over to my brother's house being used to pull around his clean up trailer , as both his Deeres (212's) dont run LOL .
In one picture (poor pic of the tractor , but it had just come off the track after a grooming session that the fellow I am giving the trophy to won.
That is what old ugly American iron is all about ! That tractor is probably dang near 50 years old and still working harder than any new pressed tin rig could ever do.

Attachments

#11 ·
WVBUZZMASTER (Casey) asked for more info, so here it is.

I bought this tractor from Casey this spring at the FCVAEC Plow Day. It took 6 guys, one tractor and a lot of headshaking with laughter to get this thing off Casey's trailer and onto mine. If I'd have known how little it would take to drive it, I would've saved everyone a lot of trouble.

To date I have done very little to this. I added Gas, checked fluids, pumped up the tires and turned the still working key. Motor sounds good, tranny works, (the Hydro Handle mechanism could use a little adjustment tho). I had a lot of fun today taking the video of it moving on it's own power with the ghost driver, and want to thank Casey for selling it to me. If nothing else, it was money well spent to have the fun!

Here's the pics of her when Casey found her.

Here it is today.
View attachment 22580

View attachment 22581

View attachment 22582

And here it is in motion

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is my entry for the "Ugly Tractor. It is a Cub Cadet 1650 with a Vermeer trencher on it. It was from a golf course at the coast. You change the spark plug without opening the hood becasue of the rust. The hood looks more like swiss cheese than a tractor hood.
Even though it looks really bad it runs like a top. The trencher works well too. Someday when I find some other sheet metal for it I am going to hang the hood on the wall of the shop for a conversation starter.
thanks, Steve

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey, Will! We're tied in the voting so far!:bigrofl:

#15 ·
There's a lot of good and UGLY to choose from,but I know which one I'm voting for already.

#16 ·
:worshippy1::worshippy1:
So much ugliness in one thread!! I love it!! There are some great choices this month, thanks to all of you who put your favorite ugly tractor out there for all to see!!!!:thumbs:

#20 ·
45 votes already! Thanks for the great start, folks!

#22 ·
We have 51 votes counted so far. Great start, keep the votes coming, folks!

#26 ·
ducky said:
Man that is a lot of UGLY.
Wish I owned a couple of them though.
There is a lot of UGLY there, isn't there.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.