• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:55 PM

I recently got a flat fender 112 JD gear drive. The idler spring for the secondary belt was GONE!! So got a new spring today and proceeded to install it.I know were it hooks on the idler, but it looks like it hooks on''somethin'' with holes in it. I tried to hook it in the holes, but the hook wouldn't go all the way through. Is there a piece of linkage like on the idler that goes thru the holes or what? I usually work on yellow and white tractors, so I"m at a disadvantage. I f you guys have covered this before, please forgive me. Thanks in advance. wawcub47

Edited by MH81, October 12, 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#2 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hope this might help, yes there is a linkage that the spring end goes into.112 idler.gif I think that you may be missing Number 8.

#3 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Mav, first thanks for your reply. I have #8 but i cant get the spring ,on the other end, to go through the holes. My spring has a hook on each end, but it moves in and out and turns 360 degrees. If i get it kinda in the hole ,I cant turn the spring to go to the idler.beats me!! Thanks again, Wawcub47

#4 peters OFFLINE  

peters

• Member No: 5189
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:21 AM

On my 214 I had to use vice grips in order to to stretch the spring into position. One end goes through the top hole in part #12, the other end connects to the frame. Its under a bit of tension, even in the relaxed position so takes some effort to get into place.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:35 AM

A little different situation, but on the spring for the 68, I removed the bolt for the pulley pivot, hooked up the spring where it needed to go. Then used a huge pair of channel lock pliers to align the bolt back up. Worked a lot easier that way. Good luck.

#6 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thanks guys, Im gonna work on it tomorrow . If I have all my fingers left. I'll report tomorrom nite.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'm working on a 112 for the neighbor.Someone replaced the spring with one that was to light.I could pull the back idler pulley the whole way up with 1 finger.

I ended up putting a ratchet strap on the spring hook and gave it a good pull to get the new spring to hook up.The new spring may be a little to stiff? I took it off of a 212 parts tractor.
It is Super TIGHT.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hook your spring to the frame hole first, then with a long neck, flat tip screw driver, extend the other end of the spring long enough by prying against another part under the frame, to help attach the spring to part #8 above. When inserting the screw driver, do not use the hook, but instead, stick the screw driver through the spring, about a half inch in from the end. You'll find this a lot easier and less of a finger biter.
Good Luck!

#9 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Thanks guys. I just got it on!!! i hooked the spring in the hole on the frame, then took a 3 foot piece of 2x4 ,drilled a 3/8th hole in it about level with the spring. Then hooked a piece of chain that had a hook on one end, hooked that in the spring put a bolt thru the 2x4 and pulled back while the 2x4 was against the rear of the tractor.The chain tightened up , brought the spring back, and allowed me to hook the linkage up. I still got all my fingers, and didn't loose any blood! Thanks again to everyone who helped me. This is the greatest forum on the net.

#10 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:58 PM

congrats, and thanks for posting.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Thanks guys. I just got it on!!! i hooked the spring in the hole on the frame, then took a 3 foot piece of 2x4 ,drilled a 3/8th hole in it about level with the spring. Then hooked a piece of chain that had a hook on one end, hooked that in the spring put a bolt thru the 2x4 and pulled back while the 2x4 was against the rear of the tractor.The chain tightened up , brought the spring back, and allowed me to hook the linkage up. I still got all my fingers, and didn't loose any blood! Thanks again to everyone who helped me. This is the greatest forum on the net.

That sounds like a lot of work but it got the job done without any injuries. It sounds like you have good improvising and problem solving skills!