• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 CdnSnowWhite OFFLINE  

CdnSnowWhite

• Member No: 7289
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Our pulling team has a variety of makes and models and there are so many factors going into it that I honestly don't believe that there is a BEST machine.

We personally pull with MF & JD - all stock machines.

When it comes to $$ our little JD 111 has done the best (until the tran blew this season) but I have been really impressed by our JD110 (even though it only has a 8hp) and our MF14.

Good Luck in your pulling adventures and remember it is for the fun!!!!!

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 04:33 PM

broken2,
I used to pull with a club up in Levering Michigan that had an unlimited weight class. The Massey 12 in the photo weighed well over 3000 pounds.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jerimiah.jpg

Edited by golfwrench, November 05, 2011 - 04:38 PM.

• olcowhand, broken2, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#18 nev OFFLINE  

nev

• Member No: 4041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 07:31 PM

It all depends on the money. If you dont have much get a early 70s sears there cheaper, underrated, and will do as well as the green and red ones.

#19 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 01:53 PM

You don't have to get a cub cadet to pull with. The main feature you need in a good puller is a strong cast iron rear axle. Don't use a aluminum spricer or Pearless axle. They will not stand the torque. I tried one and shelled out the top drive gear twice. I pull with a Wheel Horse in our stock light classes, a Sears SS16 in our heavy stock classes, and a Montgomery Ward in the altered class, and I am able to match and even beat out the Cub Cadets in my class.
100_0041.jpg
My opinion on tires is if the ground is hard packed clay or dry dirt use a smaller tire. The wider tires on these types of tracks tend to spin out alot sooner. The track conditions good for the wider tires is if you have a loose dirt or if it has been watered down alot. The smaller tires will dig down too easy, where the wider tires will keep digging forward.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0039.jpg

#20 michael1968 OFFLINE  

michael1968
  • Member No: 9479
  • 18 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 11:05 PM

do john deeres make good pullers.

#21 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 11:36 PM

One guy I pulled against pulled with a 110. He used the variable lever like a torque amp on a 560 IH. The only trouble is keeping the belts tight.

Edited by timtractor, April 12, 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#22 Blown331 OFFLINE  

Blown331
  • Member No: 9428
  • 5 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I vote Cub Cadet hands down. I don't want to step on anyones toes so I'll just leave it at that.

#23 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:38 AM

I would agree Blown331. The Cub Cadet in my opinion is the best mechanicaly built tractor for pulling.

There are no belts to slip and no variables or other linkages to wear out.

The only thing you have to do to a Cub is to do a slight improvement to the clutch so it don't slip under heavy pulling conditions.

The only other problem I have found out with the cubs is that for some reason the axle shafts break near the spider gears in the rear axle.

#24 jser OFFLINE  

jser
  • Member No: 9139
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:50 PM

to the person wanting to pull their massey with the vari-drive, it works but I had to put a much bigger spring on it to keep the vari-drive from pulling forward from belt force and making the tractor slow down. and yes I am sure it was not slipping and it was just moving the whole assembly forward.

Disclaimer: I did upgrade to a 18hp v-twin, so the stock motor may not have that problem.

Jser

#25 Deerecollector OFFLINE  

Deerecollector

• Member No: 433
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have three pullers. they are early 80's roper stock, 1973 J.D. 110 with a 16 kohler stock and a early 70's SS16 with a 18 twin comand stock. Some days I win most times I don't. With the J.D. I put a cogged belt from motor to variable, works good no slip.They all pull about the same.

Edited by Deerecollector, June 20, 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#26 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 01:37 PM

My opinion on tires is if the ground is hard packed clay or dry dirt use a smaller tire. The wider tires on these types of tracks tend to spin out alot sooner. The track conditions good for the wider tires is if you have a loose dirt or if it has been watered down alot. The smaller tires will dig down too easy, where the wider tires will keep digging forward.

I'm curious about tires. With ATV tires being made in so many sizes, are you seeing many pullers using atv tires at all? It seems the tire companies are putting a lot of research into finding tread patterns that maximize grip on different terrain, even going so far as to introduce radial tires.

#27 kaboom OFFLINE  

kaboom
  • Member No: 9870
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Many pulling organizations do not allow atv tires.......

#28 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:48 PM

, maybe the parts speedex is the puller i'm look'n for and it's right under my nose ooh and theres a tjd wiscon setting out in the storage building ,"boy i'll have to watch the toes" :smilewink:

Edited by bolex, July 10, 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:57 PM

broken2,
I used to pull with a club up in Levering Michigan that had an unlimited weight class. The Massey 12 in the photo weighed well over 3000 pounds.

And isn't it a hydro? Handle sure looks like it! How much weight is hanging on the front to keep it down from those rear weights? And how in the world did the axles take that????????

#30 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:29 PM

And isn't it a hydro? Handle sure looks like it! How much weight is hanging on the front to keep it down from those rear weights? And how in the world did the axles take that????????

Looking at the fender/seat pan it looks like it may me a mf14/16? That is a crazy amount of weight. Looks like a very fun event to be at.