Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

How many of you own both LG and compact/utility equipment?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 11:38 PM

The 2320 is by no means a "big" tractor, but it was the first real tractor I ever drove - I was a city boy moved to the country. My wife grew up on a dairy farm as a girl, so she is the resident expert in all things rural at our house! She still runs the tractor for the few "hairy" areas we have - I know my limitations and gladly hand the wheel over to her in those situations.

Anyway, when we first got the tractor, I had never been on anything bigger than a riding mower, so sitting up in the air on that tall tractor on hills seemed really scary to me for a while - I was sure the thing was gonna roll over at any moment! I was more comfortable on the GT, so used it more often.

As my confidence grew in the CUT, I use it more, now using the GT mainly where the bigger tractor won't fit, or when it is already in use. But the CUT does much more than the GT when you can use it.

Talking about older tractors, especially ones that have been family tractors, I think it would be neat to have a tractor with that kind of history attached to it! My wife grew up on an old Deere B model. The one she actually used is long gone, but I hope to be able to get her one like it that we can restore sometime.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Looks great Daniel!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

At the time I had the "V", there was an older man in town that let me use his garden spot. He and his brother had a single front wheeled "A" the they had made a rotary belly mower for that he mowed his large yard with. The thing I remember most about it was the hydraulic system they had made, the return line was a street elbow screwed into the top of the transmission! They were small-town machinists by trade. ~~ grnspot

There was actually a factory made hydraulic system for the Model A(not sure if it was Avery's or aftermarket) it was a square box that mounted on the right side of the frame. Ours did not have it but dad found one somewhere and we used it to run the cultivator. I would buy another Avery in a Heartbeat or the Moline like OldCow has. My Neighbor runs all Molines, but I have never got over to see if he Had a BF or BG sitting in the weeds yet.

TenBlue, I understand about the pucker factor on some slopes( I have one 40 ft area I drive down an go around the hill for another pass). Dad would probably go to jail for child endangerment these days? But He used to have us hang off the high side fender on those slopes? Or ride a rear blade for more weight to make it cut. Dangerous yes, but we just took it for granted.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,240 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:16 AM

There was actually a factory made hydraulic system for the Model A(not sure if it was Avery's or aftermarket) it was a square box that mounted on the right side of the frame.

Yes, this box housed the oil reserve, plus had the cylinder made inside it. The whole box mounted on a large pin so it could rotate just a bit as the cylinder traveled through it's arc. Our old manure scraper Avery had this system. I used to have the same kind of box mounted on my David Bradley Suburban to work my home brew 3pt lift I built for it. I used an old aircraft belt driven hydraulic pump to power it. I don't remember if it was aftermarket or not, but I can ask my brother to take a look. He has Dad's old Avery manure pusher now.

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,323 Thanks
  • 4,918 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have several garden tractors and a Ford 850 with a loader. Since completing the Bolens diesel conversion and adding the loader the 850 loader wasn't used much anymore. I much prefer using the Bolens so the loader has been removed from the 850 which is now used for mowing the airfield and pasture.

Edited by Cvans, October 18, 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#20 york0060 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:52 AM

I have 3 GT's. 1995 MTD Yard machine 46", a 1978 Case 220 with a 42 inch rear tiller and blade, and a 1967 Bush Hog. I tell my wife i have one for mowing, one for growing, and one for showing. I also have 3 Big iron tractors. a 1939 John Deere B, a 1950 John Deere B, and a 1952 John Deere A with a 6-3 Power Block.

#21 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:52 PM

I have a Ford 600 show tractor, and a Ford 100 show tractor, and a Sears GT 18 and John Deere 165 repainted and use for mowing and other small duties around homeIMG_3005.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3010.jpg

#22 Ol Blue OFFLINE  

Ol Blue

• Member No: 4852
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 12:38 PM

John Deere 870 for the heavier work:

A John Deere LX255 that is "supposed" to stay in the yard...
But the '68 John Deere 112 that is supposed to do all the dirtier work seems to be broke more than it's running right now.

#23 dave8338 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have the two 116's now, an old Sears mower with a 32" deck that just sits, and a 773 diesel Bobcat with a dirt bucket, snow bucket, grading blade, pallet forks, and an auger with the largest bit being a 48" flat bottom "tree drill". It gets the bulk of the medium duty to heavy duty "yard" work, ALL of the snow removal, and anything else that needs a bit more oompf. :bounce:

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,334 Thanks
  • 8,683 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Add me to this list. Right now I have a JD 212 that I'm selling, a Homelite T15 that is going to be my snow removal/ yard chores/ backup mower, a Jacobsen T422D front deck/rear steer mower, and now a Bolens G152.

The Bolens is just 15 hp, but is a stocky little guy. It needs some work, mainly electrical and cosmetic. Depending on how the work on it goes, it or the Homelite will be sold.

Edited by Cat385B, October 17, 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:53 AM

All of my collection is garden tractors except for one. I have a 1954 John Deere 50 that is used primarily for giving the kids rides. Eventually it will get restored and used for pulling a 24' trailer, loaded with garden tractors, in the local parades. The only work that my tractors see, is pushing snow for the neighbors here in town, and for that I usually use the '66 John Deere 110. It only takes 20 minutes to mow the grass with my push mower, so using a garden tractor for that chore is pretty much useless.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 14, 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#26 xshooter OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:14 PM

When we moved out in the country 2 1/2 years ago I had a John Deere X728 and a LX 277 for mowing duties. I got tired of having to run to town to get gas for them and since I have off road diesel here for my business I was looking to trade them off and get an X748 to mow with.
After doing some research I found that I could buy a 1026r for about $1000 more and it already had a 3 pt and rear PTO. JD sealed the deal by offering 0% for 60 months so I bought one with a 60" MMM and a box blade. I mow my 3+ acres with about half the fuel that the other two were using.
I also have a 318 for back up mowing. I have a quick hitch with a 54" blade and a 51 broom for this tractor and it gets used for small grading jobs, also getting the rock out of the yard in the spring. Last winter I bought half of a 3 pt for it and built the rest. I picked up a Brinly 12" plow for it and use it in the garden and also for plow days. I'm currently looking for a tiller for the 318 or the 1026r.
I also have a JD gator model TX for hauling stuff out to the garden and back.
For the heavy lifting I have a Bobcat 773 with several buckets, backhoe, mini road grader attachment, concrete breaker, land plane, and auger.

Edited by xshooter, October 17, 2012 - 08:16 PM.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:06 AM

I had forgotten about this thread. A few weeks ago I bought a Ford 1500 to compliment my GT's. It has exceeded my expectations.
I have also bought a 48" tiller to take the work out of gardening.
XShooter, after looking for a tiller for the 318 for 2 yrs and finding that a PTO drive and Tiller exceeded the cost of a new tiller for the compact, I bought a new tiller for the Ford at the local farm store.
I have it assembled and am waiting for the rain to stop to till in the garden refuse and sow a cover crop.
So have yet to run it.

Which reminds me. I see your just south of Iowa City and was wondering if you had ever been over to Iowa Farm Equipment in Tipton? I never have but keep their site bookmarked for reference. They are the only dealer I know of in Iowa installing Rim Guard.
They have a fairly interesting selection of tiller, some of which would be well suited to a Compact(though I have no idea how their pricing runs)..

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 18, 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 09:36 AM

I have the Bolens G192 and farmall cub for compacts. I like all my GTs, but have the most fun with the ElecTrak E20.

#29 js5020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:54 PM

I also use both around the place, AC 5020 fwd, and a JD M for the CUTs, a JD X300R, Gravely Com 12 , Gravely L, and a Western Auto Wizard walkbehind for the LG,,, more equipment that is necessary mind you. I know I put Way more hours on the LG stuff than the CUTs but they are nice to have around for the heavy work, the LG are better suited to lawn chores.

#30 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:07 PM

This one has the Hercules engine also.

Here's my Grandpa back around 1956 with the MM. Grandpa passed on in 1973.

Here's my Dad refurbishing the old girl. He did the mechanics....I did the paint.

Here she is in her new glory.

Dan That tractor is really nice and because it was your grandfathers that must make it extra special for you.