8 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 11:25 PM

Let the dogs out in the back yard this morning around 7am, and sat down with a cup of coffee to watch the field behind our house - usually deer, groundhog, rabbits and various creatures show up.

Noticed a black thing at the far end of the field so went in to get binoculars to see what it was. When I came back out, I noticed it had come a lot closer to the house - still a way off (couple hundred yards) but moving toward us with a purpose. Sure enough - a pretty big skunk, checking out the field's edge.

When he was about 100 yards away (dogs still in the yard - wanting to get out and go get him - stupid dogs...), I decided to get the bb gun and fire a few shots across his bow to encourage him to go a different direction.

So I go walking across the field (upwind) toward the skunk, with my son's bb gun (a Red Rider, don't ya know...), in shorts and house shoes, hoping to come out on top of this confrontation. Also remembering that there was recently a post about what to wash with to get skunk off you....

Wife comes out the door, sees me playing big game hunter and starts laughing. The skunk, who was not bothered by me trying to shoo him away, or the dogs barking at him, or even the bbs bouncing dirt up around him, sees the wife and takes off the other way!!!!!

I can think of a lot of ways to end this story, but the wife reads these posts from time to time, so I'll just end with "Gosh, I love living in the country!!!!!" :bounce:

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 02:52 AM

I think that ending kept you out of the dog house. Glad it left without giving you a 'perfume' spray!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 04:43 AM

Isn't it funny,dogs will get blasted almost every time,and yet a cat can walk right up to a skunk and rub against it and not get it.I know,dogs usually chase skunks,but even if they don't,they still usually get sprayed.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Way to keep yourself from sleeping on the couch.
Gonna need something bigger than a Red Ryder to make him stop coming around. He/she won't stop so long as there is a purpose. IMHO skunks stick around an area because of "something". Food, shelter, stubbornness, if you can remove it's reason for being there, it may go away.

Next time you see it, you need to watch it to see what it's up to and remove the "purpose"... or shoot it.

Good luck.

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yea, this one kind of took me by surprise. Never seen him (her?) before. I know we have skunks in the area - get whiffs of them from time to time, but first one I've ever seen this much out in the open.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:18 AM

Be Careful they are not Rabid when they act strange.

#7 tomkuchenbrod OFFLINE  

tomkuchenbrod

• Member No: 5982
  • 6 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 01:40 PM

I hear that playing loud music with heavy bass in it will run them off. this is also suppose to work for raccoons.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:13 PM

I hear that playing loud music with heavy bass in it will run them off. this is also suppose to work for raccoons.

Yes, but it seems to call in the Police... :laughingteeth:

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:26 PM

tomkuchenbrod

It would run me off too. Nothing worse than to be sitting at a light in the big city and some kid comes up and vibrates your pickup. If I ever see a skunk around here I try to make sure his death is from lead poison.