"COLLECTORS" only please.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_hooligan_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 05, 2010 - 08:59 PM

Don't worry Mike. We are all here for moral support. Just ignore all those detractors and focus on your collection. People may come and people may go but garden tractors are yours for life.

Thanks for being there, you guys are the best, I love you man

#17 M&M13 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I'm afraid i passed collector status yrs. ago ! Ive since graduated to hoarder lol!:(

#18 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'm a collector I guess I have about 30 gt. I have jd, case ,cc, ford, jac,wagner, mm,ac.I buy what I like. I also get to write for LAGC and to help put together one of the biggest lawn garden shows on the east coast. In august of this year. I hope a bunch of guys from this forum come. Thanks Josh

#19 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

• Member No: 1920
  • 646 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 09:10 PM

well it started for me when i was 5 years old. my granfather had a 67 bolens 850 i use to ride on it with him for hours. then he gave me a bolens broshure from 67 he got when he bought the 850 new it had arnold palmer in it with all the bolens tractors and some attachments. so from then on i said i would have all the bolens tractors they made in 67. well my first was a 72 bolens 1254 that was gavein to me. then when i was 8 i bought my first 67 witch was a 1050, then i got a 1250, then the estate keeper. an before i knew it i had all the ones i really wanted. i restored some a while back and im a "all orignal" guy. so now i got all the tractors im looking to get all the attachments. im always on ebay, cl looking for my next fix lol. looking on back roads looking in the woods and old buildings looking all the time so im deff a BOLENS JUNKY but i wouldnt have it any other way. i love these tractors an i wouldnt change it for the world. MARK MY WORDS ONE DAY I WILL HAVE THEM ALL

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:03 PM

I must say, that like Dstaggs said, I didn't start out to be a collector. The tractors usually found me! About 10 years ago I had 5 GT's in my barn. 3 Wheel Horses, a Cub Cadet, and a Sears (that I don't know the model of and haven't seen another since). In time, I wanted to make room in the barn for Farm tractors and tools, so gradually I gave them all away, except the Cub, which I sold after the connecting rod broke, and one of the Wheel Horses, which I used for everything around the house including grass cutting. After buying 4 farm tractors as well as a dozer and amassing a ton of tools with which to restore them... I had refurbished an old sheep barn that was on the back of the property to store stuff in because I still wanted more room to work in the barn. Then the GT bug bit me again. I now have 6 GT's (4 Wheel Horses, a Bolens, and a John Deere), 4 Farm tractors, and the dozer...oh yeah and 2 sheds, a garage, a shelter logic garage, and still have one farm tractor and 3 GT's in the barn. I'm not sure that collector covers it. Hoarder is close, but I'm leaning toward addict as a descriptor LOL.

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 11:01 PM

Well... I guess I could fall into the cheap collector status. I own three Massey Ferguson's and a John Deere 112. At the time, just one is running, a second fair to poor. One is in total tear down with parts hanging down both sides of my shop door tracks. The other is stored away with the motor on my work bench. I do search often for stuff and acquire stuff that I really don't need. For example, I really don't need a single bottom plow, I have one of the best roto-tillers ever built. Heck, I don't even have a sleeve hitch, yet! I am going to build one, because they are cool to have on the tractor and so I can mount the plow I don't really need. In the back of my mind, I tell myself how cool it will look at the AG fair's this fall.

I got started in this mess back in the fall of 09 really. It's not new to me, I go down these roads... woodworking, old tools, machinist stuff... heck, it's just my nature. I am a huge fan of the 1930-1950's era, the golden age. I tend to be drawn to a time when stuff was built to last and be services. Even though my tractors are much newer than that era, the simplicity carried over to them still.

The other day TSC had little shelters sheds for tractors (6' x 6') and the very first thing that crossed my mind was my back yard looking like something out of a Boy Scout Jamboree with tent's all over the place. All with their own tractor nestled safe and dry inside!

Hi, my name is Lee.... and I am a tractorholic.

#22 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Does this qualify?

Granted, I don't still have "everything" in the pictures, but most of them, plus a few more!

I grew up on JD's, including the 720D in the one parade lineup. Started taking my 1958-520 to some local shows, then the 720D, next came the 69-140. After that, I decided I wanted a trailer load of garden tractors for use & shows. Then came the attachments to go with them. Now I'm "down" to five garden tractors, nine carts & various other attachments, all JD or "allied vendors. ~~ grnspot

Attached Thumbnails

• Tractor Shows 2010 036_2.jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS II 052 (Custom).jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 665 (Custom).jpg
  • Picture 063.jpg

#23 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1218
  • 163 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Well, for me I would have to think that my grandparents got me into tractors. As i was growing up my family had nothing but Bolens. I always went along with my grandparents to hauseman's garage which sold Bolens/Troy Bilts and also Lawn Boys. As I grew up for as long as I can remember I always helped pop take the deck off the Bolens....which at the time was a 1600 Hydro Eliminator....and help clean out the deck of old grass and he would sharpen the blades. When I was about 10-12 years old I started to help out with the mowing which at first didnt include riding the tractor except taking it out and putting it back in the garage. Then in and around the time I was 12 or 5th grade(1999), I remember them buying the Troy Bilt GTX 16 which we still have. I also got to help do the deck on this tractor too. To be honest I wasnt allowed to mow the yard till I was about 14. I was always into cars too so I went to school for that which was votech in high school and uti after high school. Coming up to when I graduated uti in july 07, I couldnt find a job in automotive thanks to the economy and ended up becoming a truck driver which I am still doing today. Back in 2008 I really started to do the deck on the tractor myself since pop was getting older and next thing i know I was looking for my own tractor.

After a month or 2, I found myself buying a tractor which once it was fixed and painted I sold it to my grandparents...it was a 90 Servistar tractor which I just sold to some other people 10 mi away this past monday.

Couple months later I went out and bought my own and very first Bolens....a 67-68 1050 which had a 12hp wisconsin engine swap in it.

tractors 016.jpg

From that day on, I bought many different tractors, push mowers and even started really getting into the mechanics of them. At one point in 2010 I had about 15-20 tractors and at least that many push mowers. For me after having many tractors and going through the past couple weeks and selling off a shed full of push mowers and tractors( wait till you guys who watch my youtube channel see all i got rid of!!) I now only have my Bolens 800, 900, and 1050. plus my little mtd ride magic and 66 craftsman, as well as both my montgomery and eclipse reel mowers....THATS IT!!! I still have the 66 craftsman for sale as well as about 5 push mowers, and both my reel mowers too which hopefully will sell this spring/summer.

I have tried to do a restoration on a jacobsen I use to have but gave up on it, and I believe it is do to a lack of experience with these machines and the fact that I had to many things going on at the same time and rather than concintrating on just the resto, I was doing repairs on other mowers.... however if I were to finally do one I would try to get them as close to original as possible. I do like the original weathered look though because it shows a test of time so if it runs drives and operates I could care less what it looks like.

I am most likely going to stay with bolens because I was brought up on them and love to work on them too....however, you never know what you may find or come across:D

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,660 Thanks
  • 39,030 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have 4 GTs and one LT. From the looks of a couple of them, I think I am more of a bone yard owner than a collector.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 04:31 AM

At age 16 I entered the hobby to restore one walk behind David Bradley. Well, I needed parts and that amassed a bunch of DB walk behinds of many models. Then I saw a Springfield rider on ebay I had to have, that was at age 17 I believe. It had a repower, so bought another for the right engine, but it was all original and didn't want to mess with it. When Dad and I converted an old house into my shop my 4 wheel riding tractor collection exploded to mabey 10 Springfield of multiple variations, couple Case GTs, a Craftsman, a Gilson, and a few others I know I am forgetting. My obsession shifted last year to electric tractors and I converted one of my Springfield riders to electric. Well, that has since helped me to find a new cornerstone to my collection which will be added in about 5-6 weeks. It is safe to say collector does not begin to describe me.... horder is too extreme though.... but uh..... some1 here might have the word I am looking for lol. (by the way, I'm still only 20 years old lol)

#26 dryrun OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 05:58 PM

All I've got so far is 5 wheel horses, an Ingersol, 1 case, 1 deutz allis, 1 bolens, 2 john deeres, and 1 massey. But hey, I got started late, the weather has been bad, I'll get more i promise, just give me some time okay????

#27 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:29 PM

I'll never admit how many I have.
I keep moving them around, so no one can keep track.
I've done such a good job at that, I've lost track.
All I know is that they're all Massey.
But there's nothing wrong with that is there.

#28 Gary400 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 06:59 PM

you dont know where a fella could find a john deere wagon do ya :smilewink::smilewink:

#29 dryrun OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Sorry Gary, but I think Grnspot110 owns all of them. LOL

#30 cp7 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 06:35 PM

I've got a model 80 south of KC to get rid of that grnspot hasn't got his hands on, yet.
Nice collection spot. They need to be covered the way you have them rounded up.
Looks like the Red Cub Cadets were attacking.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 ..jpg