#1 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Let me begin by saying that this thread is not about trying to offend anyone. Most of us know that forums attract members that are here for a variety of reasons but the common denominator are the lawn and garden tractors themselves.

Some of the members are truly INTO collecting lawn and/or garden tractors while others are simply trying to keep their old machine running. This thread is an appeal to the true collectors out there. You know who you are.

You spend hours of your time looking at e-bay listings, C/L listings, Kijiji listings and various print publications in search for your next "find". When driving down country roads, your head is constantly turning side to side in the hopes of spotting an old tractor sitting in the weeds or next to an outbuilding. You also keep a watchful eye out for old adverts, articles, manuals, sales literature and so forth to increase your knowledge about what you collect.

Yes..... it all started out innocent enough. You did not wake up one morning, turn to whatever was laying close to you and shout out "I've just decided to collect lawn and garden tractors.". But nonetheless, something in your twisted past happened and suddenly another tractor appeared in your barn/garage/shed/backyard/bedroom/basement/whatever and then another and another and another..........

At some point, your status changed from "user of riding tractors" to "collector of riding tractors". You're not quite sure when that officially happened but it did. Family and friends all think that it's an early sign of looming madness or senility but you are undeterred because more tractors keep arriving. It no longer bothers you that the whispering suddenly stops whenever you enter the room. You are now at peace with yourself due to the happiness your hobby brings you.

So.... here's the point.

It's time for YOU to enter into the confessional and whisper your story in this thread. Don't hold back. Divulge it all. You will feel better afterward for having cleansed yourself by fessing up to others who share your obsession. Think about the questions below and try to provide detailed and truthful replies. :D:D

- what year did you realize that you were now a "collector" and how many tractors did you have at this point?

- if you collect only a single brand, please explain what it is about that marque that fascinates you so much?

- do you just "collect" or do you also "restore"?

- if you restore, do you bring them back to the exact way they left the factory in every minute detail?

- if you collect more than one marque, is there a common theme to your collection?

- do you envision stopping your collection at a certain number of tractors or will you just continue to add to it?

- do you take your tractors to shows and how far are you willing to travel to take in these shows?

- any other details will be appreciated. Please don't limit yourself to just the questions above.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Well, I'll start this off by saying that I have always been interested in tractors and equipment big and small.I have had all kinds of makes over the years,but I bought my first new garden tractor in 1978,it was a Massey Ferguson 1655.Now back then I never even thought about collecting them.About 7 years ago,I came across a 1961 Cub Cadet original and bought it because I just thought it looked neat.Shortly after that I got to thinking that maybe I should see if I could find another "old" machine to keep it company.I found a 1963 Bolens 800,and from that point I was hooked.To date,I have 12 tractors now.
I don't collect just one brand,but what I do collect so far has been horizontal shaft engined tractors that are shaft drive.
I haven't as of yet restored any of them.When I do,I will probably put them pretty much back to stock,although I don't mind minor modifications.
I do take some to a show,Myself and a buddy put on a vintage lawn care show annually here where I live.

#3 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've always wondered what makes one officially a collector, Maynard?

4 or more projects in progress at once?

I'm diverse in my tastes. Love my 318, but like the simple but powerful 990s too. I would like to have a WH, Massey, and Bolens in the "collection" too, but I might then find myself single, with lots of time on my hands.

#4 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 11:55 AM

I can't remember when I started collecting. Dad has always been into GT's and small engines, so I grew up with them. I "claimed" his Wheel Horse 1054 as soon as I was able to climb on it, maybe 22 years ago.
Right now I have 8 runners and 5 machines that are future projects. Of the 8 runners,4 of them are refurbished. I won't use the word restored, because the purists would mow me down :pushmower: I also have a few machines at my cousin's in NY... just waiting for me to get them.
I don't collect one particular brand, but I do have a soft spot for home built tractors... I just love 'em.
My wife and I have shown the tractors & air cooled engines when we lived up north, but I haven't hauled to any shows here yet.
I don't see myself stopping at a certain number, but I do sell and trade from time to time.

Edited by AcreFarm, May 02, 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 12:39 PM

I realized I was going to start collecting last summer. We had moved to a development house and it ended up being more grass then I wanted to push mow. I started looking for a riding mower and came across a couple of old ones and found the Massey MF12 I have now. After I bought it and started looking for more is when I realized I found a new obsession and hobby. I have always been into machinery and heavy equipment and I am fairly mechanically inclined so going after the old classics is pretty easy for me and doesn't scare me away.

I will collect any brand of tractor but I favor Massey and Cub Cadet. I love the way they are built, the colors and I love the looks of them.

I have restored one tractor so far and that was my Dad's Bolens 1053, still have some touches to finish on it. I wouldn't say it is as nice as it was when it came off the showroom floor but I think it turned out nice. I plan on restoring at least 2 a year of the ones we like the most or plan on keeping. There isn't enough money in restoring just to sell, you have to do it because you want to.

I don't think I have a common theme with any of my tractors other then that I have more hydro then gear but I also only have 4 tractors right now.

The only limiting factor I can see limiting my collection is room. Once I don't have anymore room I think the selling and trading will start to take place and probably "fine tune" the collection. Although collecting every single piece of attachment that was ever available for a particular make is intriguing to me and will probably happen.

We go to shows as often as the schedule allows. We are attending at least 6 of them this year and we have 2 down already. Right now I would only travel about 2 hours. Next year I hope to be better situated with our own truck and trailer and I would travel up to about 5 hours. I like to always take at least two tractors when we have the equipment to haul them.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 01:03 PM

I'd say my addiction started about 8 to 10 years ago. I always kept a garden tractor around, but about then I started going nuts with it...as nuts as I could afford anyway. It started when I found my 1st Massey GT. Then soon I had 4 of them. Then the Bush Hog thing came along & got deep in my blood. The Unico came inbetween, but by accident. My brother owed me $250 on a Cub 106 for almost 2yrs with NOT one cent of payment. He was telling me how his bosss gave him this old GT sitting in the weeds. I hadn't even seen it & didn't have any idea what it was, but he said it shad "Unico" on the hood, so I told him it was a cheap way for him to get out of "Cub Debt". He loaded it from the weeds & brought it straight here. Now everywhere I go, I scan fencerows & barnyards for old iron!

#7 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 01:41 PM

actually this thread made me realize i'm a collector. kinda feels good to say that. i got my love of tractors early. my dad and i would work through the summer cutting wood for the winter, and eventually i got to start driving solo. i can still remember how excited i was every time there was a little mud on the trail and know those ag's would get me through! and feeling the power of the engine as it lugged it's way up a hill and loaded heavy!!

then i guess around age 8 or so, dad bought me a Pennsylvania Panzer to play with. boy was it fun! my first tractor with steering brakes, that's right 3rd gear, wide open, spinning as fast as i could!! LOL i made a "race track" for it in the woods and would ride all day happy as a fool. before all the abuse on the Panzer my dad taught me how to tear it all down, sand it and repaint it. i went with rustoleum black and dad welded on a chrome steering wheel and a chrome tractor seat. it was COOL!! and he let me do all the work myself.

then we moved off the farm when i was about 12 and tractors became just big lawn mowers since we didn't have a big property any more. so then around age 29 (2006) my dad gave me a 1980 Sears GT 18. it needed a little work and i had free time so i dug in, and i think thats when the passion came back.

since then i have added 3 more Sears and a David Bradley Suburban, a Bolens and a John Deere to the collection. i'm really into the Sears tractors. i like the look of them and i think it's a fairly simple design. i really haven't been exposed to many other tractors so i never put down another brand except jokingly.

i do plan to restore all my tractors at some point. some will be restored some will be more resto-mod. but for now i'd just like to get all my non-runners running. i don't have any room at my house for my tractors so i keep them at my grandmother's property which i, in turn, take care of. this summer i want to build a shed at my house as well as at my grandmother's so i can start working on the tractors.

i won't stop collecting as long as i can find good deals! i have never been to a tractor show but would like to attend one soon. well thats my story.

Edited by chopperfreak2k1, May 02, 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 03:51 PM

I guess I am a collector, if the original posters definition is true.......However, I am not into making my tractors brand new again....I like them to work and look worked I guess.....or, maybe I am just too lazy to do them up properly. I like uusing them.

I started my collection a couple of years ago when I retired and moved up here . Have 1 1/2 acres, so I needed something more than a push mower....I bought the JD that was here from the previous owners......Good little machine, but it got me yearning for something different. When I was a kid, my dad looked after property in town, so he had a MF35 tractor and a National Mower for cutting grass....I got to drive these starting at about age 10....Here I am on the National....

Posted Image

I found an National very similar about 2 years ago and fixed it up.......actually, I ended up having 4, but am back down to the one now

Posted Image

Lately, I have gotten into regular garden tractors.....MF10, Ford LGT100 and LGT125, which I am fixing up right now.......I seem to be leaning towards the Fords as my main interest.

#9 Brent OFFLINE  

Brent

• Member No: 358
  • 5 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 08:29 PM

I just recently realized I was a "collector". I always thought that I just had a bunch of tractors. It all started with my grandfather, and his spontanious purchases of lawn tractors for me to ride. One after one the collection has grown to more than fifteen, but less than thirty. I've lost count somewhere along the line. I love all makes and models of tractors. My two Shaw Du All's hold a special place in my heart, as well as the Cub's, Wheel Horses, Sears, Springfield, Snapper, Wizards, and Fords. I have fixed up my wheel horse B-60, and cub cadet 102's for stock pulling, but my 633 wheel horse will be to factory specs, if I ever find the time. My future wife has begged me not to get any more due to space and finacial limitations. I take my better tractors to shows at Cumberland Valley Antique and Engine Assn, and Williams Grove. I appreciate other collectors that share their knowledge, time, and tractors to preserve history. I think its sad that most of my "collection" can't mow the grass, they either go 40 mph or pull a sled.

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 10:26 PM

Lel me start off with i'm not a collector, ijust don't part with my old finds. Started off a couple years ago when a friend ask me to haul a ss14 for them as her brother had pass a the tractor was loaned to him for a number off years to make a garden. And i fell in LOVE with it, After cleaned up an rebuilt, Along came GT18 that just stopped at my place, Another friend ask me look at some things her late husband had and there was the Homelite Garden Trac M 575-2 with tractor tires, tranny was all locked up and hadn't been started in 3-4 years and i just had to beg for it. Ha. Then i was over at a friends house and sitting out back was the 16-6 with wheel weights asking to go home with me to get all prettied up. some where along the way the john deere 317 that was just parts came by an wanted to be put back together, it had a sleeve hitch. Then the old ford mower was just sitting in a shed needing a hood and fixing up along with 2 john deere 111's Oh since i'm old i need old tractors.Oh gosh how many is this???? Oh shoot not collector just don't have the chance to sell nothing, I just love to have friends come by to show them what came out of retirement to play with me.

#11 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 03, 2010 - 05:36 AM

Lel me start off with i'm not a collector, ijust don't part with my old finds. Oh shoot not collector just don't have the chance to sell nothing, I just love to have friends come by to show them what came out of retirement to play with me.

I'm sure that you are not the only "Egyptian" member of GT Talk. Before this thread is finished, there will be others who also live in "de Nile" that will come forward and give us their version as to why there are so many tractors on their property.:D

I just want you to know that there is no shame in admitting to being a "collector" but if it makes you happy to tell us that these tractors "find you" instead of you deliberately "finding them", then who are we to say otherwise?:rofl2:

All the same, there is professional help available that can help you come to grips with the reality of your situation. :smilewink: Posting what you did is a good first step. :laughingteeth::laughingteeth::laughingteeth:

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 03, 2010 - 02:57 PM

- what year did you realize that you were now a "collector" and how many tractors did you have at this point?

I officially started Collecting Bolens about 10 years ago, when I felt the 3 I had were not enough :D but have been riding/using a Bolens since I was able to walk. I currently have 6 Bolens and 1 Gravely

- if you collect only a single brand, please explain what it is about that marque that fascinates you so much?

I was Brought up on Bolens from the time I could walk. I spent alot of time at my Grandparents House and would love to ride the Bolens around. I became facinated with the Bolens and would always ask my Grandfather many questions about engines and what all the parts did. Eventually He gave me the 3 He had left And the rest was basically history. some years later I began looking in yards while driving by to see if there were any Bolens sitting in the weeds. and the snowball kept rolling and I began finding attachments to go along with them.
- do you just "collect" or do you also "restore"?

I sort of do Both. I got the 2 that I restored which do not get used much, and the others are for strictly working.

- if you restore, do you bring them back to the exact way they left the factory in every minute detail?

I try and get as close to original as possible.

- do you envision stopping your collection at a certain number of tractors or will you just continue to add to it?

I think I'm at a point in where I feel I have "Enough For now" but I know the Bolens bug will be biting again and I'll be back to buying more if there is a good deal LOL :D

#13 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 09:38 PM

Well I guess I officially became a collector when we bought our first Panzer. I started playing with garden tractors around 17 or 18 years ago. I always had one to mow with but that was when I started having more than needed for actual use. The first one was a Wheelhorse 753 that was given to me and I drug it out of the woods and got it runing good. I added several more tractors but didn't stick to one brand. Most all of the ones that found their way here were from the early to mid 1960's vintage. I started looking for a real unique tractor and found the first Panzer on ebay. I talked it over with the wife and we bid and won it. Made a road trip to pick it up and in the process made a couple of new friends. That was 8 or 9 years ago and we started going to tractor shows with some of our garden tractors. Now we are up to 37 or so garden tractors.
As to restore, rebuild, leave original it all depends on the tractor. Some of them are nice enough original and I figure if they have made it this far in decent shape I'm not going to disturb them. Some have been in terrible shape and required a complete tear down and rebuild just to make them a useable tractor. Then I get to my custom build projects just to see if I can take an idea and actually make it work.
I might actually sell some of the tractors in the future. I have my garage and tractor shed full and rent part of a pole shed from a friend to store them. I just don't have enouigh time to keep all the runners running and it might be time to pass a few of them along down the line to a new home.
My wife and I go to several local shows each year and try to make it to one big show. The farthest we usually go is 120 miles. We have been doing this long enough to have made friends that we run into each year and that makes it even more fun.

#14 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 05, 2010 - 05:33 PM

HI I'M MIKE, I'M A TRACTORAHOLIC. I started 18 months ago when I found a brand new 1800.00 Sears DLS5000 wouldn't pull a plow or a cultivator, I sold it got my money back and bought a completely restored 1965 John Deere 110 along with a Massey Ferguson MF-14 with a factory hydraulic 3 point lift. I was all over at that point. I went from a user to a addict. I've lost all my friends and my wife doesn't even recognize me any longer, I've given up trying to hold a steady job and. I cant go one day without my tractors, I constantly need more. I've bought around 50 tractors, and kept around half. People have offered me crazy money for my tractors, but I wont let them go. I've been hearing some family members talking about rehab, or an intervention, but I'm still to slippery for them. I know I need help, but I just cant seem to quit. I know admitting you have a problem is the first step, but I'm not ready for that yet, I haven't hit rock bottom, but I'm close

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Don't worry Mike. We are all here for moral support. Just ignore all those detractors and focus on your collection. People may come and people may go but garden tractors are yours for life.