• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• Member No: 6607
  • 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 05:21 PM

hey guys a little while ago i bought all the parts needed to build a compleat mower deck for my mf 8 off ebay , i paid $43.00 includeing shipping for the two gear boxs and cross shaft , then $71.00 includeing shipping for a clean shell/houseing , and $41.00 includeing shipping for all the mounting hardware , did i spend to much ?

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Not too bad, that's about $150 for the deck. If you have all the mounting brackets, you did not get hurt on it.

#3 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 01:28 PM

yup i got the front mounting bracket that bolts the front bumper and the frame assembly that goes between the front of the deck and the bumper bracket and the two rear draft bars and that lift connecter rod that bolt to the draft bars and connects to the lift lever , thanks for the reply

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 03:30 PM

Yea, you did ok on it. Great if you figure in that it was an e-bay sale. Even better if those prices were shipped to your door. (no gas expense) You may of found a used 7/8 tractor with a deck, for that price as a parts tractor, but the deck may of been rough. If these are nice and clean, you don't play that game.

#5 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 05:16 PM

yeah the price i paid included shipping , although i have't really thought of a use for the tractor besides useing it as a mower as of its no where near as heavy duty as my mf12g but the 8 has a lot tighter turning radius then the 12 which will be nice for tight spots

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:55 PM

It sounds like a good deal to me. I just got a deck shell and payed 100 for it but it was 120 miles away and it was shipped to me so that saved me a lot. A good solid deck shell is getting rare for these and I had to grab the one I got. Good luck getting it all together. I need to disassemble my old wrecked deck to get the angle drives etc. I wonder if they are hard to rebuild. If not I will likely rebuild them this winter before assembling the new deck.

#7 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:28 PM

yeah i believe there is some info in my service manual about rebuilding the gear boxs , my plan is to do the deck up over this winter which will intail sanding down the light surface rust thats on the underside and paint the underside of the houseing then i will probably change the grease in both gear boxs and install them and all the other brackets

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Sounds like a plan. Mine was sitting up against a wall for 2 years and the oil or grease was seeping out of the drives, so they definitely need to be opened up and inspected/filled at the least.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Those gear boxes are super simple. Just a couple bearings and gears on splines. Here is a trick, look at the gears, they run in one direction on one face of the teeth. If you switch the gears left to right, you now run on the back side of the gear teeth. If you have worn teeth, this will give you a new life on the gears. Sure they are a hair weaker than a new gear, but it really is a non issue. Look at the photo below and you can get an idea for what I mean. The worn side of the gears will never have any "push" against it, and will run like new. Switching them around will be obvious when you are looking at them. There are two gears in each box and they are all the same. Just mate up the ones that will mesh on the good side when turned in the direction the deck is driven. Simple, quick, and free lease on life.

Posted Image
  • JDBrian and ford boy have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks a lot for the tip on the gears. Do you remember if they take a standard bearing? Mine feel pretty good when I turn them but they are 35yrs old. I will want to replace the bearings if it's not to expensive.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Mine felt perfect as well, so I just washed and re-greased them before I put them all together. They looked like a standard bearing, and I have to assume they would be.

#12 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:45 AM

Those gear boxes are super simple. Just a couple bearings and gears on splines. Here is a trick, look at the gears, they run in one direction on one face of the teeth. If you switch the gears left to right, you now run on the back side of the gear teeth. If you have worn teeth, this will give you a new life on the gears. Sure they are a hair weaker than a new gear, but it really is a non issue. Look at the photo below and you can get an idea for what I mean. The worn side of the gears will never have any "push" against it, and will run like new. Switching them around will be obvious when you are looking at them. There are two gears in each box and they are all the same. Just mate up the ones that will mesh on the good side when turned in the direction the deck is driven. Simple, quick, and free lease on life.

Posted Image

thats a great idea