• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• Member No: 6832
  • 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 01:23 PM

I am looking for specs. for the David Bradley Hitch Bar; the one that attaches the front of the turning plow to the tractor. I need t0 make one and would like details if anyone has info to share on it. The trctor is a 1946 to 1949 model. I don't have the model numbers handy at the moment.
Thanks for any help.

Steven

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to the forum, Steven. I bet it won't take long for someone to respond with the information you need.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hello Steven, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a pic of the plow and back of the tractor? I did a little google image searching and saw what looked like 2 different styles. One had a long bar that hooked up under the tractor somewhere and one kinda looked like a slot hitch...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://t0.gstatic.co...fQj_hP_CxyFW4pp

Edited by MH81, October 11, 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Welcome, Steven. I'm no help on these, but it looks like you are getting some already. Good luck.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Steven,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

I'm sorry,I can't help either.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Welcome to the forum. The item you need is a bent T that hooks to the front pintle on the transaxle, goes into the front 2 slots, and has a hole for the plow.

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 02:01 AM

its called a hitch improvement. The first tractors did have a place to hitch up to the under side of the motor mount. These tractor were mostly made to use the mower, which attached to the mount, a cultivator that was hung on the handle bars, and a seeder that did the same thing. To solve this they made the hitch improvement parts, which were the saddle at the rear of the tractor, and a front part that hooked into the mount. This is only for the 51 model tractor. After that the 52 and newer ones had a differnt motor mount that used a part weld to it as the hitching point. The last picture is of a short tongued roller. Note that it is not hooked up properly to the tractor. The part sitting on the saddle goes into the rear hitch eye and there is a clamp that holds it down on to the saddle bar.

There are only 2 plows for a DB walker, one is a 6" and the other is 8". Both have a long tongue that go up under the gear case to the front hitch. Not sure what the plow is in the above picture, but its not for a DB tractor. There picture of one plowing, is called an adjustable foot, and is more a furrower than a true plow.

Welcome to the site, Steven, If you PM me with your address i'll send you one, but i'll need the tractor model as it just occured to me that maybe the part you want is a drawbar instead of the hitch improvement. If the tractor is a model 51, then you need the improvement, if its a model 52 or newer then your looking for a drawbar. I have both of them lying around here some place. Cant swing a dead cat here without hitting some kind of DB part.
  • MH81 and Steven N have said thanks

#8 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:01 AM

If He doesn't have the parts, I do.
  • MH81 and Steven N have said thanks

#9 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:53 AM

WOW, you guys are awsome! I have been piddling, off and on, with DB's for about 25 years and this internet thing has opened up a whole new world.
The tractor is a 917.5751 and the plow is a 917.57525. I have the bent "T" type hitch bar that hooks under the motor mount but the hole doesn't line up and I would rather not drill a new hole in a piece of original equipment if it wasn't meant to work like this. In looking at the plow instructions for a 917.575116 plow (which looks like mine), it looks like a straight bar that hooks under the front eye on the frame of the tractor, extends forward and hooks to the front of the plow. This doesn't seem right to me and I wanted to find out more info on it. The plow hangs on the saddle bar in the rear and floats like the
I normally use front attachments, the sicle mower and a small bush hog type mower (917.575125), this thing is great for cleaning fence rows and getting in tight places where my bigger tractors can't go. I have some applications, now, where I would like to try the plow.
Thanks to you guys for all of this great info, I'll try to respond better to your posts once I figure out how this site works.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 01:16 PM

the 116 is the 8" plow and was made to go with the 3 and 5hp tractors, instead of the 1.6hp N engine you have. It will fit the tractor but i doubt you could pull it good. Something must be wrong with the setup as it should go right on. Im thinking maybe the saddle bar is on backwards, and this would make the plow tongue not align with the front hole. Without a picture of the trouble its going to be hard to fix it. Some times the DB's are a mix & match of parts, not all working properly with others. Im sure its a simple problem that causing this. Do you have any other attachments for the rear that you could try and see if they fit.

#11 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:22 PM

I have some cultivators and a disk I can pull out of the barn sometime, I may have a couple more plows, as well. I also have a new Honda 212 cc motor that I just put on it.
I'll check out the other impliments when I get time.
Thanks, Lauber, for your info.

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 12:53 AM

Its all cool, DB's are one the first things people butcher up to make attachments for other things. The reason for this is they made some many attachments that fit the same hitching system. Un like Bolens who had several mounts for the differnt models. Simplicity made a lot also but they always seem to be wimpy comparred to the DB.

#13 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:15 AM

The early 51's didn't come with the rear saddle, so we need to see what you have, whether correct or made up.

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 11:19 AM

I guess i just assumed that it had been converted over to a saddle. The orginal tractors came out without the saddle and had 1/2" hole where the saddle went. It flat bar between the handle was also only welded on one side. To convert the owner bought the saddle and drilled out these holes to 5/8". It getting hard to find any non altered tractors. The orginal holes were used for a differnt type of saddle, we call the liberty bell, as it looks like a bell shape. This bell was for hanging a reel mower from.

#15 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:32 AM

I can't get to my photobucket account at work to show you a bell saddle, I have only seen one.