22 replies to this topic

#16 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 6 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:16 AM

It's not always the "kill", but the "hunt" that keeps us going.

#17 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• Member No: 6798
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 10:56 PM

Thanks guys. I still can't believe it. But on the other hand - the guy is moving to the city and didn't have the time to wash it up and make sure it started. He also is probably just like me in that he didn't want to sell it as a running tractor and have something go wrong with it. In the end he wanted it gone and I made it go away and we were both very happy with the deal. I made a keeping it green order for more than the tractor :) but I rationalized that by saying that $60 was for deck blades and $20 was for hy-guard and those are maintenance items that would cost the same for any tractor I bought! I really hope the bagger helps out for leaves. I'm a little scared that the bags will fill up very quickly and I should have waited to find a 519 or something like that. We'll see I guess.

Dstaggs - I have a 317 as well. I put the 48" replacement deck on it and really like it. But... power steering is quite a treat and the 318 turns on a dime. The Onan has quite a different sound to it - it seems quieter but maybe my 317 muffler is just worn out. We'll see this winter how the 1 extra hp works out. I'll be putting a locking diff in this one for plow duty. The only accessory I have that won't work on the 318 is the custom weight bracket I made for the 317 that holds 240# of railroad track that I have cut up into 40# pieces.

#18 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:02 PM

Does anyone else have one of these powerpak baggers? It looks like the impeller is still available from Deere but way too much money for my blood. I wonder if an impeller from a different company could be made to fit. I also wonder if I could just pop rivet on some peices.

I don't suppose anyone has the tech manual for this?

#19 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 11:16 PM

I've been "hunting" on Craigslist for about 4 years (maybe longer - for as long as I've had the 317) and this is the third good deal that I have seen. The other two I was way too late to respond. On this one I was just really lucky and was the first caller. The seller was a stand up guy. I got him on the phone and said "I'll take it, I can come by right after work and pick it up. He said that was fine - he would be home around 4:30 (I couldn't get there until 5:30). Boy was it hard to concentrate all day thinking about that 318 :)

There are deals out there but you have to be lucky I guess.

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 10:30 AM

I've been "hunting" on Craigslist for about 4 years (maybe longer - for as long as I've had the 317) and this is the third good deal that I have seen. The other two I was way too late to respond. On this one I was just really lucky and was the first caller. The seller was a stand up guy. I got him on the phone and said "I'll take it, I can come by right after work and pick it up. He said that was fine - he would be home around 4:30 (I couldn't get there until 5:30). Boy was it hard to concentrate all day thinking about that 318 :)

There are deals out there but you have to be lucky I guess.

You have to just keep looking until you find what you want then be ready to act quickly. It sounds like you got a fair buyer which is another bonus. Good luck getting it setup and working.

#21 guglielmo69 OFFLINE  

guglielmo69

• Member No: 4109
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:54 PM

your luck is better than mine

#22 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Keep looking. There are deals out there, just not a lot of them. When you see them you have to strike without hesitation :) Have the discussion with your wife right now, "When I see a screaming deal I will be dropping everything to get it." :)

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 02:19 PM

Keep looking. There are deals out there, just not a lot of them. When you see them you have to strike without hesitation :) Have the discussion with your wife right now, "When I see a screaming deal I will be dropping everything to get it." :)

Good advice about discussing it with the wife first. It's no fun bringing home a new tractor and then having to sleep with it in the shed!