Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help with a B&S engine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I'm working on a Briggs engine 120H02 that had a bad carb (8126) float, gas just ran right though it. I cleaned the carb put a kit in it and all is well except the primer doesn't work. I can shot some starter fluid down the throat of the carb and it fires right up. I can use a can of air to shot into the port on the carb and I get fuel, shot air down through the bulb and I get fuel but using the primer bulb on it's own nothing.

It has the square type air filter and the base plate has a channel to shot the air into a port on the carb. I have replace, the gasket between the base plate and the carb several times, the bulb and I have checked and rechecked to insure the base plate is clean and that there wasn't any dirt or old gasket material left on it.

Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:03 PM

I first thought of the gasket, but you checked that. I think there is a check valve/flapper/do-dad in those bulbs. If that is bad or missing, it would do that.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:28 PM

I thought of that as well so I replaced the bulb with a brand new one. Unfortunately no check valve in the bulb. About the only thing I haven't done is replace the back plate. Maybe that will be next.

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Is there a gasket on the FRONT side of the carb (between the carb and the air cleaner). Try replacing that gasket as well.
i had a primer bulb that had a hole in the end of it that was leaking gas all over everything. Went to the lawn mower shop to get a new bulb, but mine was fine - they told me to replace the front gasket- that fixed the leaking gas. Not sure if that would help in your situation or not....

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 02:33 AM

Maybe you have a crack in the fuel line to the bulb. Tried to bring up a pic of this, all I found was exploded view. May be off base here.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the reply's. The gasket between the carb and cleaner has been replaced several times and I have even doubled up on the gasket per a post I found on another forum with no luck. The bulb has been replaced and the carb is clean. The back plate is pretty worn so I'm going to go over to a friends and see if he has on laying around that might be in better shape.