25 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 08:24 PM

More progress today. - Motivation! Engine ran yesterday, but no locomotion. Topped off the trans fluid this am, but still no movement. Did some research online that pointed toward the check valves being stuck in bypass.

Pulled the seat deck off (again!!!) and unscrewed the 2 check valves - sure enough, they were stuck solid. Soaked them in PB Blaster for several hours, then took a small punch and inserted it in the hole at the bottom of the valve. GENTLY apply pressure to the ball via the punch, which pushes the stuck pin up. Soak some more, push it back down, reapply the punch, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc Anyway, by mid afternoon, both valves were free and working good. I was REALLY happy, because they are $130.00 EACH.

Put them back in and TADAAAAA! Rode around the yard for a while. Still gotta fix the electrica problems (no lights, no power to PTO) but chipping away at it.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00036-20111012-1436.jpg
  • IMG00037-20111012-1437.jpg
  • IMG00042-20111012-1617.jpg

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Thats good news. I noticed that on my 314 those valves were clean and newish looking so they must have been serviced or replaced before I got it. The service manual is in the manuals section and it has an electrical schematic if that is a help. You should be able to download it now that you have 100+ posts.

#18 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 12:05 PM

And thanks for the pics. Being new to this great little tractors, I didn't know where those valves were.

#19 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Brian - Wish I had the manual several months ago when I started this!!! Most of the info is available online if you look enough, but is nice to have it all in one place. I have html links, copied pages, word docs, etc - whole computer folder of info - that the manual duplicates. Yes, I downloaded it last night!

I had the wiring diagram and went through it today. Pulled the battery and battery ledge out to make it easier to get to everything. I had a connector that had come partially undone, and a bad wire. Now have lights and an electric pto that works!

Went ahead and put the side panels, grill and hood on. Will have to pull the left side cover to fine tune the carb once it has run a while, but wanted to see it "whole"

Waiting on the Deere parts store for a few pieces, and fixing a few things. Then paint touchup (gotta do the hood - didn't spray it when I did the other pans). Then mate up the deck and mule drive and call it a done project.

Well, as done as any project gets.... Still need ag tires, a pin hitch, ...... :bounce:

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:29 PM

I was surprised at the power the transmission has in these things. I didn't paint my hood yet. It was the best part of the PO's lousy paint job. I am not 100% sold on AG tires. They are boss looking for sure but after having them on an x475 I'm not certain they are for me in my situation. They are pretty much useless on ice and I do a lot of plowing in the winter. I am thinking of the Carlisle All Trail I think they are called. The ones that JD calls HDAP and makes available for the new GTs. A good compromise tire is what I need. It sounds like you are ready to put it to work!

#21 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 09:55 AM

Not really sure about the tires - especially once I saw how much the ag tires cost :(.

It has the original style tires on it, but they are weather cracked and stiff. While they have plenty of tread left on them, not sure how long they will last...

I was originally lamenting not having a locking diff, but you can kind of duplicate it by feathering the seperate brakes

#22 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Not really sure about the tires - especially once I saw how much the ag tires cost :(.

It has the original style tires on it, but they are weather cracked and stiff. While they have plenty of tread left on them, not sure how long they will last...

I was originally lamenting not having a locking diff, but you can kind of duplicate it by feathering the separate brakes

That is one big advantage of the separate brake system.

#23 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 12:44 PM

Congrats on the find and the rebuild. Looks great, and I'm glad to see another 316K on here. I've had mine about 2 months and I've been slowly going through things as I have time repairing or replacing. Lots of little things, but a good solid tractor.

Thanks for the pics.

#24 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the pics. I'm looking forward to getting started on mine.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Great job on the Deere! And the wife does wrenching! Awesome!

#26 guglielmo69 OFFLINE  

guglielmo69

• Member No: 4109
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:51 PM

looks good