Pictures of my Deere 316K refurbish
Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:40 PM
But back to the beginning......
I actually bought this off Ebay about a year ago. Was one of those situations where I bid a few bucks on something, not expecting to win, and was surprised when I had the winning bid. Had to explain to the wife that we needed to make a road trip to Arkansas . We had a good trip and were able to put it in the bed of the truck to get it back home.
The listing had been honest - maybe thats why I got it for $50.00! Frame and tin work were ok - some rust, but the engine came in a box. So this is how it came home....
Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:52 PM
The con rod was in about 5 pieces - evidently siezed and broke while running. No damage to the block though. As heavy as those old blocks were, not sure if you COULD damage one....
Bought a rebuild kit and a new rod and off to the machine shop she went.....
Went 10 over on the bore, and 20 under on the crank. Was able to get rod to match. While it was open, had new valves matched and valve guides put in.
When all the pieces came back, my wife wanted to do the assembly on the engine - she had seen me do a few and wanted to try her hand at it. So the engine parts went into HER part of the shop, and the roller frame went into a corner to begin disassembly.
Took all the tins off and fixed the surface rust
Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:07 PM
I also repainted most of the assemblies - brake rods, drive shaft, levers, etc. Not really doing a restore - I didn't use Deere speced paint and OEM nuts and bolts , but just restoring to functionality.....
I guess it took about 6 months on and off to get the roller done....
I took LOTS of pictures- good thing, I needed to go back and check them when it came time for re-assembly! Here are just a few of this part of the process....
Posted October 11, 2011 - 12:02 AM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:58 AM
Once the block came back, she started on the reassembly. But about 1/2 way through, my oldest daughter had her first baby girl - so Grandma "set the engine aside" for a while to go spend time in Florida with the new family member!
Some before and after pictures - Can't say enough about my machine shop - Action Performance in Daytona Beac, Fl! They have a couple of "old school" techs that know how to work on unusual projects. I had a few horror stories from other places before I found them. They are located right near Daytona International Speedway and do a fair amount of work for the SCCA group and racers who use the track.
Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:08 AM
The deck had a couple rust holes and the bearings in the spindles were shot. Needed blades and a few other parts as well. Since I had some time to wait for the engine, I worked on the deck and got it cleaned up. Most of this series was in Florida, between grand-daughter play sessions
Some deck pictures....
Note in one of the "after" pictures, I wrapped the arms - I saw this tip on another board - keeps the flapping arms from chipping paint of the deck when transporting or moving it around.
Between pickup, trips to/from Florida and Tennessee, this tractor has tons of miles - and hasn't even started up yet!!!
Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:48 AM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:38 AM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:19 AM
Got the engine all back together and buttoned up.
Then yesterday, we walked the engine over to the chassis and lowered it into place. Had some more pressing things to take care of so was not able to get it hooked up. Hopefully will get it all hooked up today/tomorrow and fire it up!
Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:20 AM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:28 PM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:06 PM
It took some head scratching and looking at disassembly pictures but was able to get the engine in and wired up.
Since my wife built the engine, I let her fire it up for the first time! It fired a few times on ether until the fuel pumped up and into the carb, but fired up fine - spent another 30 minutes or so tuning up the carb and letting it heat up. Then let it cool off and retorque all the bolts.
Gotta deal with some electrical gremlins (no power to the lights or pto) and a few other issues, so am in no hurry to finish putting the front shell on.
But once I do, wil post pictures.
Thanks to all for the nice comments and encouragement.
Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:25 PM
Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:49 PM
just don't know which one but I think it will be an early 64 RF
Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:10 PM