• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have often referred to having this tractor but I've never shown proof. I snapped a couple of shots of the restored chassis today while cleaning out the garage.

DSCF6827.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6825.jpg
  • DSCF6826.jpg

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Nice......I have started cleaning up one of my mf10.....hope I can make it look that good! Look forward to seeing your progress!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:49 PM

That tractor looks cold all undressed like that.:bigrofl:

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Looks good Brian. Time to put the power back in it?
Ps. your shop is too clean.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Looks good Brian. Time to put the power back in it?
Ps. your shop is too clean.

The engine has the head, carb and flywheel off it. I have a carb kit and head gasket for it. I de carboned the head and I think the rest of the engine is OK. It is a replacement short block but you can't tell from the number how old it is. The head could go back on any time. I still need to paint the engine. I need a flywheel screen if anyone has a spare to sell. It's an electric start model with headlights. The dash was in good shape and the nose piece was almost cracked in half but I repaired it with some advice from Daniel way back in 2009 when we both hung out on another forum. The grill and other front end trim parts are all painted and ready to install. I just got a deck shell so that is another problem solved. I just cleaned the garage up and moved the 8 to that space. With the 314 in there this winter it is going to be tight.

That tractor looks cold all undressed like that.:bigrofl:

Kenny. I normally keep it covered with a tarp to prevent it from catching cold.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Brian, nice looking 8, thanks for the pics.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Looks like a real nice roiling chassis there, Good Stuff.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:12 AM

Thanks guys. Man was it a mess when I got it. My wife called it Sad Old Red. I spent many hours removing rust and paint from the chassis parts.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:38 AM

Brian, glad you have her covered most of the time. Good luck with the rest of it. If I have this figured right, you'll be done about 2015.:bigrofl:

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:54 AM

Brian,that is looking really good.Keep the photos comin' too.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Brian, glad you have her covered most of the time. Good luck with the rest of it. If I have this figured right, you'll be done about 2015.:bigrofl:

What can I say! I got sidetracked with a couple other hobbies for a while, then the poor 8 got sideswiped by the JD314 that I thought would be done by June. If you look real close you'll see the green paint where the 8 got shoved aside. My plan was to have it finished this year. That has been revised to next year ... unless... it gets delayed by a Ford or Bolens or Cub Cadet or Case or ........Whatever.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Heres an update on the parts I've been working on lately. There was a surprising amount of work left to do on it. I had to repair both safety switches and the ignition switch and have moved on to a few other bits. I applied some decals only to discover that i have some that are not correct and some missing. I have what appears to be a decal kit for a hydro and I need the gear drive decal for the parking brake and the Electric start decals. Heres some pictures. The side covers managed to fall off the table and get scratched already. Adding the decals really makes them look better. I got the bent steering wheel 90% straightened. I used a drill press and some blocks of wood to bend it back into shape. What I thought was white paint on the rim is actually a crack in the vinyl. I didn't push it for the last little bit of wobble. Got the dash panel labelled and the ignition switch is ready to be installed. The tractor had a primer bulb so I put another one on to cover the huge ugly hole the PO made to mount it. The rubber steering column boot was cracked and nearly falling apart. I got some Permatex black silicone and after cleaning the rubber I carefully sealed all the cracks. After that hardened I coated the entire inside of the rubber cone with silicone to strengthen it. It feels like it's going to be OK. We'll see what happens when I install it. I have all the front grill, mesh and top and bottom hardware ready to install. I have the head milled off and ready for the new gasket and have started to repair the damaged nose piece which was nearly cracked in half at the top centre, It was attached by maybe 1/8". Got that strengthened with long hair FG in the back hollow part of the nose. Now I'm filling all the scrapes and gouges. The plastic dash is in really good condition with no chunks missing from the top like you so often see on these. Some day soon I'll venture out to the garage and install the stuff that is ready to go. I can start wiring and put the engine back together. The red stuff I will prep for paint, but it won't be warm enough to spray it until June.

DSCF7372.jpg DSCF7373.jpg

DSCF7374.jpg DSCF7375.jpg

DSCF7376.jpg
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Lookin good Brian. I bet it feels good to get back at it again. Just think, by July, you'll be out cruzing
around.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. I hope so Will. It's hard to get any time to work on it. We are doing some landscaping this summer that is going to eat up a lot of time so I am not planning on any other GT projects accept to get this finished. Those little 8's sure do handle nice. The steering gear is very well done in them and they have a short turning radius. They would make a very nice first tractor for a young person. I have a decent mower deck now as well to go with it.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Glad some progress has been made. Hope the weather warms so you can get some paint on there. I'll be patiently waitng for more updates.