Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Batteries Do Explode


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts
  • Location: Independence, Mo

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:19 PM

I have always heard to be careful as batterie's will explode. I have never seen it happen ( I did melt one down in a Cessna at the factory when I installed a 24V battery backwards).

Todays story goes like this

Dad put a charger on the battery in my 1655/1855 and left it there over night last night. The battery has a drain that I need to find. ANyway at 7 this morning he went to the shed and the charger was down to less than a amp and he was walking over to the wall to unplug the extension cord to the charger. Dad was about 20 feet away when he heard an explosion he described as loud as a 10 Ga Shotgun. He turned around and the battery was gone, acid all over the tractor several engines and several implements. 2 hrs later he had found one battery cap and lots of plastic but thats all.

The moral of the story " be damn careful" they do explode and I am lucky dad had his back turned. I would have been a very sad son had he been bent over the battery or looking at it when it exploded.

Just another lesson learned in life

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

    Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts
  • Location: South Central Kentucky

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:21 PM

I've heard of such things, but never seen 1st hand. Glad you're Dad wasn't hurt!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Man thats scary. Considering that the current was down to 1 amp it's not the result of too much charge current. It may have been a buildup of Hydrogen and ignition from an arc or something inside the battery. Yikes, I'm glad your dad wasn't hurt. It must have made a mess out of your tractor.

#4 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts
  • Location: North Central MO

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Years ago I was disking with Dad's JD 720D (4-6volt batteries under the seat), running full-throttle. When a thin metal shield over the battery broke, causing the right front battery to explode. Blew the end off it!

The next time Mom washed my blue jeans, she thought I'd been caught in a fence or something as the back of the cuffs were shredded from the battery acid. ~~ grnspot

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Had to redo the whole new paint job on the front of a 63 Chevy because the Boss's son didn't turn off the charger before he disconnected it like I told him. Shortly after that he was limping for a long time because he injured me doing something else stupid. My work boot caught him square in the right cheek of his a$$ as he was running away. He was very fortunate he wasn't seriously injured when the battery exploded.

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Glad Dad is OK. Thanks for the warning.
One question, was it on high or low charge overnight? I've heard that the multi charge rate chargers shouldn't be left on very long above the 2 amp setting for this reason.

#7 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts
  • Location: Independence, Mo

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:01 PM

just an automatic 10 Amp charger that drops its current as the battery nears a full charge

#8 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts
  • Location: Rossville Illinois

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Yep! Had a battery on a IH cub low boy blow up right in front of me. Luckily the battry cover deflected most of the debris and acid. I went flying into the house and jumped in the shower shoes and all! Now the last thing i do is plug in the charger and always unplug it first! Some lessons are learned the hard way. Rick

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:38 PM

I have installed power switches on all of my chargers. One explosion is enough for me.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts
  • Location: Newton.Ia

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yes they will explode and very impressively! I saw my dad blow tow up at different times when the temps were 20+ below. They must have frozen and when he hit it with the jumpers they shorted out. Hydrogen gas is bad stuff. Another time I did it and just as your dad did I left a charger on overnight, forgot it and woke up to an explosion about 6 am.
There was not a piece over 4" square and schrapnel all over the garage, Sure am glad no one was in the garage when it happened.

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

    In Remembrance, RIP Dale

  • RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts
  • Location: Batesville, Arkansas

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Was that why all the old chargers had timers on them??????????????? Thanks for warning us again.

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts
  • Location: Northumberland Pa

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:51 PM

When I was in Tech College a fellow student was hooking batteries up to a big V8 detroit the school had in their Dyno room. The batteries were 4D's, anyone who knows batteries knows how big one of them is. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but one of them blew up right in his crotch while he was standing over it. Luckily for him he had a heavy pair of carhartt bibs on as he had just came in from outside in the cold. He still had some injuries that had to be treated but he was O.K. in the end. I wasn't right close when it happened but did get to hear about it. One can never be to careful.

#13 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

    The Tractor Hoarder

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts
  • Location: Chillicothe, MO

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:06 PM

I've seen two batteries let go and they pack quite a punch!
Back in the '70s dad was jump starting an 861 Ford diesel and I think he hooked up the cables backwards WHILE standing right over it. The shrapnel bloodied his face and acid got in his eyes, we figured he would be blind but after a good rinse and a trip to ER he was OK. I remember him wearing dark glasses for several days.
The next time was in 1989. We ran a salvage yard and had sold an engine from a wrecked car. After we backed it in the shop with the wrecker and blocked it up I got on the bottom side and started to remove bolts. Dad was to start on the top side and while removing the battery ~~~ BOOM! I knew what it was and shut my eyes tight. Acid rained all over me but I knew if I tried to get out I would be tempted to open my eyes so I just lay there on the creeper. Dad took my feet and slid me out from under the car and said keep those eyes closed! He lead me to the house and helped me strip off and put me in the shower. In 20 minutes I was back in business. I was real lucky!

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:31 PM

I was real lucky!


Very very lucky I'd say.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

    Accumulator

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts
  • Location: Upper Granville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted October 11, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Glad no one was hurt.

I have had that happen once,and for absolutely no reason. Was driving a long years a go in my trusty
Ford Escort :D,and right out of the blue,bang,and the car died.There was no warning previously,strangest thing.




Top