• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• Member No: 6187
  • 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 03:43 PM

The blow-up for a 5053 trans shows a drain plug on the bottom of trans. I don't see this plug on mine. Is it under the hitch?

#2 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:32 PM

Sitting in the seat the plug is in the left rear corner. It is an Allen socket head 1/4" NPT and the hole is likely full of dirt. Dig it out and tap the Allen wrench to make sure it is well seated. You don't want the wrench to slip and ruin the hex socket. Use a thread sealer when reinstalling.

Garry
  • 70Blazer said thank you

#3 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Sitting in the seat the plug is in the left rear corner. It is an Allen socket head 1/4" NPT and the hole is likely full of dirt. Dig it out and tap the Allen wrench to make sure it is well seated. You don't want the wrench to slip and ruin the hex socket. Use a thread sealer when reinstalling.

Garry

Looks like the PO already stripped the 1/4 Allen plug out. Now to figure out how to remove it.:wallbanging:

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Looks like the PO already stripped the 1/4 Allen plug out. Now to figure out how to remove it.:wallbanging:

On stripped allen plugs/bolts, I've taken a hand impact wrench, then taken the next size larger allen bit & ground the ends slightly tapered smaller on the end. Drive this into the plug, then slip on the hand impact tool, hit with a hammer & almost always turns them out. The hand impact tool does 3 things....the hammer sets the taper deeper & tighter while at the same time turning it outwards. The shock of hitting it with the hammer also jars the threads free. You lose a perfectly fine impact bit, but gain another useful special purpose bit for the next time this comes up. Bits are cheap anyway though.
  • dstaggs, MH81, 70Blazer and 1 other said thanks

#5 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like a plan olcowhand. I may need to go to my buddies shop since I seem to always be tool deficient:)

#6 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4545
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:36 PM

I have had really good luck with tapping a Torx bit into the stripped plug. Don't get wild with the hammer though - the bottom of the case isn't overly thick.
  • 70Blazer said thank you

#7 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Well finally I got that sob plug out. None of the above tricks worked so I had to drill through it and use easy out. I flushed it to make sure no shavings were present. New plug good to go. Oh, not to forget what a pain it was to remove the big pin for the slot and tow hitch. I cleaned that up with Emory cloth, got some anti sieze on it. Done.:bounce:

#8 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Good job!