4 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:57 AM

i priced tires for the 124 today. front tires are 4.8x4x8 and i got a price of $32 for a tire that has tread similar to what a car would have. the rear tires, i got a price of $67 for a turf saver or $85 for true power tires. what do you guys have on your narrow frame tractor? i think i would want true power tires but i dont know if im willing to eat and extra 40 bucks. i also dont really want something that is going to chew up the lawn really bad. what do you guys think?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:03 AM

Ags can & will do some damage to your grass, all depending on how tight you turn, if on hills, etc. If not needing to pull ground engaging equipment, I'd stick with turfs. If you add rear wheel weights, or fill the rear tires, the turfs will get great traction without danger of ripping the grass.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:19 AM

i think i might go that route anyways based on cost. for 85 bucks i could buy tires for the car, its allot of money to spend on lawn and garden tires. anyways the tractor is coming along nicely. i installed the dash tower, fenders, ross gear, front axle, steering linkage. the steering is nice and tight. the paint isnt as good as i would like, i have a really hard time getting rid of the orange peel. it doesnt look bad, i dont have too many runs but it just isnt perfect. perfection is very hard to achieve. if i were to rate my paint job i would give it a 6.5 or 7. compared to the rusty piece of "junk" i brought home it looks incredible and doesnt even look like the same tractor. sandblasting, da sanding, priming, painting, wet sanding and painting again sure is allot of work but its worth it. afterall no-one will ever build tractors like this ever again, that is why we need to treasure the ones that are left. they represent a time when america used to make things, very high quality things.

#4 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 12:38 PM

This is one of my main mowing machines. The only time I get any kind of marks in the lawn is early Spring when the ground is still mostly mush.
The front tires are 4x8 Deestones, about $50 a pair with innertubes , delivered. The rears are Duro 23x10.50-12's tubeless about $140 a pair delivered.

Posted Image

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:32 PM

I agree with Gibby. If you're careful you can mow grass with ag's without any problems. I've had a set of Cheng Shins on my 107 for 4 years now and never have a problem with leaving marks in the yard. A damper yard then mine though may be an issue, I don't know.

Also to add a little about the tri ribs he has. I am running the same Deestones he is and got them from Tucker Tire on fleabay. I am betting that is where his came from as well cause the price sounds right.

Here's a pic of my rear tires on my 107, the lugs on these are twice as deep as a Tru Power lug is.

100_1343 (Small).jpg