• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IamLuke OFFLINE  

IamLuke

• Member No: 5799
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:39 AM

I am about to buy (unless you all talk me out of it) a 1983 JD400 with 49" snow thrower, 60" mower deck, 430 hours, new paint on all (by auto body owner), good tires, runs well for $3300. I am moderately mechanically inclined and I can't see or hear anything wrong with it. I believe this is a good deal, but I wanted to be sure.
Questions:
1. This is a little heavier duty and larger than what I need, but I think that is better so that it will last longer...is that true? And, gulp, if I had to sell it down the road, could I get my money back on it?
2. Any way for me to know if the tractor really has this low of hours on it?
3. (Although most members think bigger is better...) I know there is a 54" deck for this model, but is there any size even a little smaller (around 48 or 50) that would properly fit a 400?
4. Anything in particular that was a problem for the 400 that I should look at more closely?
Thank you all in advance!

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Sounds a bit high on price to me. And I seriously doubt those are actual hours. Likely someone unhooked the clock way back when. For that kind of money I'd be buying a diesel powered outfit, but maybe not with a snow blower at that price, but deck at least. I hear attachments for the 400 are 400 specific, so if you need another deck or other attachment, they have to be specifically for a 400, and they are hard to come by.
I'm not up on JD's though, so wait for more knowledgeable people to chime in on this one.
  • IamLuke said thank you

#3 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hello IamLuke lets see what you have found like olcowhand said if it is a 400 there attachments are different than any
other Deere The only deck made for a 400 is a 60" The last year John Deere built a 400 was 1982.In 1983 John Deere started
makeing 420's and 430's the 400 was powered by a 20 hp Kohler The 420 was powered by a 20 hp Onan the 430 was a diesel
you could get a 60"or 50"deck for the 420 or 430 value of the older 400 vers the newer 420 or 430 will be very different
check out what you are looking at as far as hours any body can go on eEbay and buy an old meter not that is has been done that way
  • IamLuke said thank you

#4 IamLuke OFFLINE  

IamLuke

• Member No: 5799
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thank you Olcowhand and Littledeere for your thoughts - I will ponder on those for a while.
This forum is very cool - being able to get advice like this. (Can you tell I'm a greenhorn?)

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:34 PM

(Can you tell I'm a greenhorn?)

Greenhorn or veteran....we all need help now & then!

#6 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:01 AM

My 400 had 980 hrs on it when I bought it earlier this year. Had mismatched tires, faded paint, missing tailights, & missing headlight lens. Looked like crap, but ran great! He was asking $2200 but took $1700 cash :) The 60" deck works great for me because I'm' mowing 5 acres, mostley flat and no trees. Things I like about it are the Hi-Low gears, the bigger tires (rides smoother), and the wide deck. I totatly understand now why people love their 318's. Its so much easier to handle, turns tighter, and I think it even has more torque. Even the grandkids like it better. The 50" deck was just taking me forever to mow though.