FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:04 AM

My son has been saving up some money and this last week on his birthday he had enough to buy one of those Harbor Freight motors. This is one of the new Predator motors that's all black. I am not sure if they are exactly the same shape as the old Greyhound motors or not, but I thought I would post up some photos.

We walked out of the store for $126.00 with the motor and the added 2 year warranty. The motor was on sale for $99.00 this weekend and it was the perfect time. The instal went simple enough, in fact we had it in the tractor that evening. My son had already removed the hood and the old motor to make it easy. Setting the motor in place seemed like a great fit.

MF8-43.jpg

I had to remove the bracket for the gas tank, and trimmed a 1/4" off the battery box on the left side just to give it better clearance. On the lower frame, I did trim and round off the side frame just a hair for looks and clearance. However, it may of fit with a tiny ding added to the recoil housing. We did have to drill all new holes to bolt the motor down as well.

MF8-44.jpg

MF8-45.jpg

Having an 8 over the 7 makes for a better install. The muffler hole in the grill allows for access to the choke and the fuel shut off. I have not tried to hook it up, but you may be able to hook up the choke cable. Our cable is shot, so I left it alone, it's easy enough to control with a pull start. Although, if you had the choke hooked up... I bet the 7 would look very nice having these controls hidden.

MF8-47.jpg

The throttle cable was a simple hook up too, the cable had room to snake over and hook up to the motor with out any mods. I did add a cable strap near the battery box to hold it. The throttle did require me to loosen the nut on the motor control to allow the cable to push it back. Other than the fact that half throttle on the tractor is full throttle, it works perfect.

MF8-48.jpg

MF8-52.jpg

The motor fit into the grille area just fine, but I did cut the stud that held the hood cable and re-attached it with one of the bolts that was there. The stud was hitting the air cleaner and this allowed it to clear perfectly. The muffler shown does not have the heat shield on it, I was making the baffle when the photo was taken.

MF8-49.jpg

Over at the muffler, it cleared just fine, but had the outlet pointing straight of the grille and kinda close to the top. I was afraid the exhaust would melt the nose trim, so I made a baffle to shoot it downward. I made a simple cardboard template and bent it in the vice. I REALLY need to build a sheet metal brake. I need to get my can of exhaust paint back from a friend and shoot the baffle still.

MF8-56.jpg

At the crank, the pulley's fit just fine. They may not of been original as I had two pulley's on the crank. However, they fit perfectly and there was just under 1/4" of pulley beyond the crank. The pulley's sit against the step on the crank and use the threaded end of the crank to tighten them down. Originally, the bolt just had a flat washer over the pulley. The bolt was 3/8" and the shaft is 3/4" which left a lot of space where the bolt was not supported. I decided that seeing as how I have a lathe, the solution was simple. I made a custom spacer for the bolt. The spacer is bored for the bolt and has a tenon to fit the ID of the pulley. The bolt head recess is just for looks. :D

MF8-55.jpg

So there we have it... a very easy install that took maybe 2.5 hours (with making the baffle and the custom bushing) The motor does need the oil drain addressed still as they both exit on the frame. I need to add a longer tube and 90 degree turn with a plug cap. The oil fill is a bit of a pain and will require a funnel with a short length of hose to snake it into place as well. However, for $100... I am thrilled with the motor! It runs like a dream and is so quiet, the little bugger was in the back yard with the lawn sweeper and I, in the garage did not even know he was doing it! It's a very quiet OHV motor with a rather large gas tank. I do plan to add a key switch and switch the on/off switch to the dash and maybe even look into hooking up the choke.

We will be moving some wood chips today, and I told him he can work with Mom and run the trailer for her. I will take some action shots and maybe a video of the tractor working. For me, this motor get's two thumbs up.

Update: fixed missing photos, and wanted to note that as of this date (June 29, 2014) that little Harbor Motor is still running and my son plays with it all the time!

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:17 AM

That's a good looking engine,it will be right at home on the MF.

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Good stuff the little guys going to love it.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Happy Belated Birthday to you son. I believe he spent his money wisely and glad it fit so well. Thanks for the pics. Now to pry him off the tractor.:bigrofl:

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 03:21 PM

It looks as though that motor was made for that MF8, great looking repower.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Oh yea, he is having a blast with it! I will have to take some more photos soon, I got tied up sandblasting the last of the small parts on my snow-blower and forgot to get some working photos. He had a blast working his tractor to get all the wood chips moved with his Mom. Now I need to at least get the red parts painted up on it before next fall so that he can enter his tractor in the fair's along mine. It's pretty solid and original, he has all 4 stock tires and a mower deck that is off. The cowl and nose ring is whole, not perfect, but whole. It should make for a nice tractor with a little paint.

Here is what she looked like when I brought it home. That is my son who owns the tractor now.
Posted Image

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Great to see your son taking that much interest in the GTs.
Nice retro,and for the price, Wow. Can't go wrong.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:14 PM

WOW than is a great project. Also Happy Belated Birthday to him.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:25 PM

Two big :thumbs: up to you Dad! And also to your son for saving up to buy it.

Looks like a great father son venture! Thanks for sharing, and tell him we said " Great Job" !!!

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 12:22 AM

As long as all my boys don't get into it, I will be safe! If the adoption of our foster son goes through, we will have four of them! (AND my daughter!)

I would of tried harder to work with the motor we had, but it needed a carb rebuild, a fuel tank, muffler, and air cleaner. On top of that, it was a 6hp Tec. Snow blower motor anyway. The cost to buy the parts to get it into good running shape was more than this brand new motor. Sure, it's a little smaller than what should be on it... but he is now mowing, and as a trailer tow / lawn sweeper tug, it's more than enough. Now the fun part is that with Fall here, he can follow me around the yard and sweep what I mow.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Nice job on fitting the new motor ! Also to see the pictures of the few items that had to be reworked to mount it . Makes me want to keep HF in mind when there's motor needed . Al