Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Valve seat cutting/grinding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brock OFFLINE  

Brock

• Member No: 6562
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Anyone ever try this at home or make their own setup or any homemade engine repair tools, tips, or tricks with tools. New guy tryin to learn here about rebuilding small engines.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,211 Thanks
  • 12,436 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Good question Brock! I would like to see some info on this topic as well.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 14,248 Thanks
  • 21,196 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:53 AM

I have had the chance to use my Uncles machine a couple of times. After using it, I want one and understand the why it so important. Free handing a grinding stone is way to chancy, leaves too much room for error. You'll end up with the valve or the seat egg shaped or irregular. Lapping a valve, is a hand job and does make a difference, but if you have to grind, I advise borrowing or taking it to someone with the machine.

This is one of those tasks that require the right tool for the job.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,291 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:23 AM

As far as valve grinding,I have not done that at home,I always take it to the spurts for that.Lapping the valves,I've done that a lot.For that you only need the little suctions cup tool,and the valve grinding compound.Oh,and of course the knowledge of how to do it,it is more than just spinning the valve in the seat.

#5 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1576
  • 44 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 02:52 PM

I had to make a valve guide remover and a piston ring compressor. Used a oil filter remover for the compressors and a flat screwdriver cut to fit the valve guide.
1010011427a.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1010011427.jpg
  • 1010011427b.jpg

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62

What, me worry?

• Member No: 42
  • 227 Thanks
  • 1,017 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 03:35 PM

I have hand lapped valves in......If the seats are too bad, they need to be ground with a machine.

Something I did yesterday.....I have this old Kohler, bit of a rod knock sound, I replaced it with another engine. I took the old rod and plastiguaged it.....005 clearance, where there should be under .002. I took the rod and rubbed it on emery cloth on a piece of glass until I got it down to .002.....Started it on a stand today, sounds good.......Gonna put it in a tractor, see how long it lasts.....

#7 Brock OFFLINE  

Brock

• Member No: 6562
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Very nice awol thats the stuff im looking for. I dont know if its common knowledge but I use muratic acid to remove aluminium from cranks just brush it on and it eats it away then rinse with water. Be careful though the fumes are toxic and should be done outdoors. If its on too long it can eat steel but I think it takes a while. Can we see a pic of your engine stand poncho62. Ive also heard making an air chisel that fits down in the guide knocks them out in seconds with no need to heat the block up and can be used to install as well just remember tl check the depth at the beginning for proper install. Anyone have tricks for valve spring removal. I know this is kinda off track just have alot of questions and ADD I think:)

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 208 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:42 PM

I tried to grind a couple seats - never happy with the results. Even though I have a well stocked machine shop in the garage, I go to the professionals for most engine machine work. Yes you can bore a cylinder on a vertical mill (or even a drill press)(!?!), but these tools don't have the rigidity required for good results. A good Sunnan line cylinder bore machine costs well over $50K - there is a reason for that.....
For what it's worth, I designed a cutter to run in my drill press to grind a valve seat - as I said, it ended up with too much flex and the seat was not flat. I tried it on an old block - good thing, cuz I did more damage than good...

#9 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 21, 2011 - 09:52 AM

I made a great valve grinder using a drill press and a machist vise, i put the valve in the drill press and then clamp a stone in the vise at a 45°angle. Then simply crank the vise in and dress your valve, works best on highest drill speed available.
As far as valve seats i bought a couple large round mounted grinding stones and using the same process (putting the bob in the drill and a carbide tool bit in the vise ) i set the proper angle to the stone then just mount your block or head in the drill press and you can grind the seat. you must regrind the bob for each seat.
not great for high volume but the parts are available at any hardware store
  • mikebramel said thank you