10 replies to this topic

#1 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:19 AM

i live in ont canada and i been picking up walnuts for three weeks now. it's out of control. it seem every 5 years it rains walnuts. so if you got a walnut tree are they bad at your house?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Funny you mentioned the excessive amount of nuts this year. This is the first year in a long time that there were enough English Walnuts left for me to get some after the squirrels got theirs !!! Even the neighbors Black Walnut trees seem to have more . Do you save them ? Al

#3 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:34 AM

i don't save them. maybe i should, and sell them i'd be a millionaire.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:08 AM

When I was a kid, I gathered & sold black walnuts. They were used for automotive blast media. Made good money for my time too! Not an excess crop this year, as it was so dry much of the growing season.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:24 AM

Black Walnuts are a lot of work to shell and pick, but sell for $5.00 per quart around here. My neighbor has walnut trees that drop them on my place.
I have yet to ask the wife if whe wants to pick some this year. She would not sell them but might pick enogh to use.

My dad had a lot of walnuts every year and got a brilliant idea? Bought a Murray rear engine mower with a bagger unit.
And was going to pick them up with that. He will tell you it was not one of his better ideas, when they started blowing holes in the plastic tube.
He replaced that with stove pipe and got them picked up but abandoned that idea all together.
Wind tore the trees up pretty bad this spring and he cut them down.

#6 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:18 PM

Here in central Pa., we use to take them over to Lancaster and sell them, the guy had a sheller ,and would run them through and weigh them too pay buy the pound. often thought about building a picker to pull behind like those pecan pickers, but the walnuts never paid enough to make worth the while

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Funny you should mention the Pecan harvesters, because I had one in mind too. Since I got the acreage, I've been considering cash crops to plant on my property. And have been researching Hazel Nuts. Out west where most are grown, they use a sweeper to windrow the nuts and then pick them up with a simular harvester to the small pecan harvesters.
Another nut crop that's taking off in SE Iowa is chestnuts.

Back to the sweeper, when I was growing up we had two oak trees and a walnut tree in the yard and the oaks would drop acorns to the point you could not walk across the yard(like walking on ball bearings).
Dad had a JD 110 with a sweeper on the front. We would sweep them into piles and scoop them up with a grain scoop.

#8 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:12 PM

We have two trees here, and there is a CRAP LOAD, tons on the ground and limbs are hanging with all the ones still on the trees. One limb about 10 or 12 inches broke off a couple weeks ago. When I was young, I used to help my Grandparents pick, and clean walnuts. I don't miss the brown hands, the squirrels can have them.

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:13 PM

We have several trees and have harvested walnuts over the past few years. I bought an old hand crank sheller - works good, but I see an electric motor in it's future!

This year was a bust for us - nothing fell out of the 2 trees we usually work with. From what I understand, it is not unusual for them to skip a year every now and then. Was a mixed blessing for me - The wife does a lot of cooking with the nuts, so not this year. But I didn't have to gather or shell anything either!

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:26 PM

I have 9 large black walnut trees in my back yard. A fair crop this year. I take around 50 +/- bushels to the Iowa State Nursery each year. Four more black walnut trees next door, the squirrels have enough plus two large Oaks. Plus I feed they corn. I can't eat Black Walnuts or do woodworking with Black Walnuts because of it's oil. I can smell a Black Walnut in a forest and tell you about where it is.

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 10:51 AM

They are bad this year out here in NE Nebraska. I just sharpened the blades on the 120 and go after them.