Bonfire day

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:24 PM

We had several piles of old lumber on our property - left by the previous owner.

Since sitting out in the weather, bugs, etc some of the wood was still good, but most of it was trash. Finally got around to sorting out the good from the bad and getting rid of it.

The final motivator was my son wanting to build a tree house. I told him he could have all the wood he wanted from the piles, but then the BOSS (She who must be obeyed...:blush2:) reminded me that were were most likely snakes and such in the pile, I was encouraged to help him pick out the wood he wanted.

So we pulled out the good stuff (still quite a bit, more than I expected...), and piled the rest up in a couple piles in the field. No wind today, so decided to burn it where it sat. Of course we had water handy, plenty of supervision, etc - burned HOT for about 5 hours - with embers and hot coals well into the night.

Was a lot of work, but am glad to have those eye sores out of the way.

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Glad you got the piles burned, around here they encourage us to wait until after snow falls before open burning to pretty much eliminate the chance of starting brush fires.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,340 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Good you listened to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

So are you making plans around what's still good, or are you adding to the pile?

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:28 PM

I only burned this stuff because of the location. It was sitting off to the side of one of my fields, away from anything, but still close enough to my shop to be able to run a hose out to the area. Also had my sprayer trailer out there and several 25 gal drums around. And there was no wind scheduled for that day.

One of my neighbors came by to help watch and he told me that our local fire department will come out and stand by while you burn brush (free!!!) to help make sure it doesn't get out of hand. I have another pile - not wood but brush push from a bulldozer, that I may let them come out and practice on - it's in an area I would't feel comfortable burning on my own.

Powerking, we don't get that much snow here to prevent fire spread. We can get free permits to burn fields after October 1. But you can burn early if you can justify it.

As to what the wood is going for - my son has a big grin on his face, and the tree house plans just got a litle bigger!

We had also talked about building a trebuchet to chunk some pumpkins....

But the really heavy and good stuff is (hopefully) being set aside to expand the shop/barn next year once I get some projects caught up. Need more room for "stuff"!