#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 06:33 PM

This may be an old thread, but I'm interested learning more about raising garlic. I love it, plus I'm told when planted alongside roses/etc the garlic helps reduce insects etc. My property is rock base, so any planting is "mining"so, I built several raised boxes for roses and tried some garlic bulbs last year without success--mostly due to my planting at the wrong time/ wrong variety etc. I'm sure. So any tips, or sites to go for info is appreciated.--Thankx Lee

#17 mj1015 OFFLINE  

mj1015

• Member No: 8476
  • 7 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Nice Al. I tried for a couple of years to find some of the Horseradish my Grandfather had cultivated. The patch was destroyed long ago during a renovation to the property and those that got some, did away with it years ago.

A friend brought some in to me from his family patch, will hopefully spread this patch around as it gets bigger. Will wait to harvest until next year when it has a better foot hold.

Nice to have a link to the past like that. :thumbs:

I have an heirloom variety that is very strong that my husbands grandfather grew if you find that what you have is not as good I could send you some . We have 2 kinds the one is much milder and not as much flavor.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#18 mj1015 OFFLINE  

mj1015

• Member No: 8476
  • 7 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:48 PM

This may be an old thread, but I'm interested learning more about raising garlic. I love it, plus I'm told when planted alongside roses/etc the garlic helps reduce insects etc. My property is rock base, so any planting is "mining"so, I built several raised boxes for roses and tried some garlic bulbs last year without success--mostly due to my planting at the wrong time/ wrong variety etc. I'm sure. So any tips, or sites to go for info is appreciated.--Thankx Lee

Garlic is fairly easy to grow you can get fresh cloves from the grocery seperate them and plant point up anout an inch deep . You can plant first of march or so where you are . And yes garlic should help with insects. here is a good site for seeds and info rareseeds.com/

you could also contact buckner@wildblue.net they carry very good galic sets and she can give you some info for planting and such.
  • Alc and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 07:46 PM

FWI, when I bought mine (which appear to be doing great) I found them at a place that sells natural type foods. There is a very small chance of getting garlic that was treated in a place like that.
  • Alc said thank you