Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Visited my brother this weekend and gave me a bag marked " Grandpop's garlic" . My grandfather gave some garlic to him in the early nineties. My brother planted and saved the cloves at two different homes he had . My brother said my grandfather would save cloves from year to year and had it for decades So today I planted some and hope to keep it growing at my house.
  • speedyg and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Nice Al, Hope you wait to plant til next Spring, Winter is closing in.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Nice Al. I tried for a couple of years to find some of the Horseradish my Grandfather had cultivated. The patch was destroyed long ago during a renovation to the property and those that got some, did away with it years ago.

A friend brought some in to me from his family patch, will hopefully spread this patch around as it gets bigger. Will wait to harvest until next year when it has a better foot hold.

Nice to have a link to the past like that. :thumbs:
  • Alc said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:02 AM

By all I have read Al, garlic does real well fall planted for early summer harvest. My wife has often said if she had no Garlic and Onions she would not know how to cook. I had never planted garlic in the fall. But the wife planted two rows of Garlic and one row of shallots about the second week of September. So next spring we shall see what comes up. I did mulch it pretty heavily to protect it from the snow winter coming. And will rake the mulch off come spring. Good luck with your garlic, it's neat to keep a family tradition going!
  • Alc said thank you

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Yup, fall is garlic planting time. Hope yours takes off well Al. Good luck.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Any thoughts on planting some in a 30" pot? I have some that I used this season and the herbs are out of them now. I was thinking about planting garlic in one of them. Maybe adding some leaf mulch on the top of the bucket? My wife loves to use it, and I can grow it, so that means I should plant it.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Any thoughts on planting some in a 30" pot? I have some that I used this season and the herbs are out of them now. I was thinking about planting garlic in one of them. Maybe adding some leaf mulch on the top of the bucket? My wife loves to use it, and I can grow it, so that means I should plant it.

Defineately try it! Before we lost the old place to the flood and had no place for a garden. the wife had two planters about 3 ft long and about 10" across.
She had garlic and herbs planted in them with herbs she used daily in hte kitchen sitting on the deck out front.
I brought them home a couple weeks ago and she planted herbs in them, I'm guessing she will move them to the sunroom when it gets cold.
Thar stuff is expensive to buy and fresh tastes much better.vLike you say if you can grow it there's no reason not to/
  • FirefyterEmt and Alc have said thanks

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 10:26 PM

Well, it's in! I was not able to find any seed garlic around here, but after talking to the local farmers Co-Op place, I was able to locate some organic bulbs. These were not treated with anything, so they should be just fine for planting. I put in maybe 15 or 20 cloves of soft-neck garlic and then layered about 8" of freshly chopped leaves over them. The garlic was planted in one of those large black pots you can see in my garden photos. I figure it will be a great place to grow it until I have my raised bed's built.

Here's to garlic luck for next season!
  • Alc said thank you

#9 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 11:01 PM

hope it's grows great for you, May have to try some myself if I can find it. My grandma wouldn't go fishing without it in her worms and she always caught more than everyone.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 05:09 AM

Dale thats great ! Another use for garlic,fishing ! My brother swears that he doesn't get as many bug bites when he eats it too, Al

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 01:42 PM

That's true Alc. It works good in bait. And will repel bugs if you eat a lot of it.
I used to work on the edge of an area of Des Moines, called Little Italy because the area was predominately Italian.
And worked with a number of the people from the area(great people by the way. You could smell the garlic in their sweat.
We used to buy sandwiches at the italian market, go to the park eat our sandwich and play bocce ball during lunch.
Funny as much garlic as I eat, I've never noticed it?

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Just a little update, I did notice the other day that I have some garlic poking up from the chopped leaves. So, I guess it's safe to say that it WILL grow, and quite easy at that!

#13 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:31 PM

We plant a small field of garlic every year. It is basically my moms project and we use quite a bit and sell it as well. I think she sold thirty lbs this year. Here is the link to the harvest on my mom's blog. I wasn't there for the harvest but that is my tractor being used.

The garlic harvest 2011

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Looks like it was a great harvest. Those cloves seam to be about the size of baseballs.

#15 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Looks like it was a great harvest. Those cloves seam to be about the size of baseballs.

It was a good harvest but they don't do as well in the city here than as they did at our old place. Our old hobby farm was in Wyoming county NY in the place that had, what was the considered the best soil in NY. The soil here where we are now in Buffalo NY has to much clay in it cause it is mostly fill from when old houses were demolished and the demolition crews just filled with the cheapest stuff and root crops have a hard time growing. They just can't expand in the soil cause it just turns to rock. We are improving it though with LOTS of compost. The garlic variety is German Stiffneck.