16 replies to this topic

#1 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well I'm to the point of needing a good solid welder for my project tractor ... I've had a couple cheap buzz box welders but they usually aren't worth anything and I was tired of driving 20 miles to my buddies to work on my projects. So ... I finally put an order in for an AutoArc 130 (Same as the old Millermatic 130). Great welder with some accessories - check it out here:

AutoArc 130 MIG Welder Value Package - 1048051 | Tractor Supply Company

With shipping to my local TSC my complete cost was just a tad under $400 not too shabby considering the comparable Hobart (Handler 140) costs $500 without the cart. If you need a good welder I'd strongly recommend checking this out. Great for sheet metal up to 1/4". :D

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to the club. Glad you found that, seems to be close to the Hobart, which I have.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 04:34 PM

I think you'll be quite happy with that.Congrats on your purchase.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Having your welder right in your shop you'll be able to find a lot more projects to make !

#5 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 07:45 PM

let the fab work begin !

ive fabricated and welded so much stuff in the last year it is a surprise i ever lived without 1.....priceless when ya need to weld something on a machine or attachment.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Looks like a nice package. I want to learn to weld as well. The Lincoln models seem to be the most common here.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Even though I have only used flux core wire to this point, you should get gas if you want better/prettier welds. I'm cheap, so opted to go flux core, but I may go to gas after seeing Meangreen's welds using argon/C02. No splatter whatsoever, and weld lines so clean! Nothing to chip, and if you need to make a second pas, it makes for a cleaner, less porous weld.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Looks like a nice package. I want to learn to weld as well. The Lincoln models seem to be the most common here.

It's hard to beat a Lincoln! And the support from their techs if you have a problem are absolutely amazing!

#9 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Yes gas is the only way to go unless you are out in the middle of a field and need some protection from the wind ... I'll be buying a bottle of shielding gas as soon as it gets in.

My buddy owns a Lincoln WeldPak 140 and its a great machine. I looked at the Lincoln's too because of their great customer service but as long as you stay with one of the major manufacturers - I think you'll be set for many years. It just so happens this was too good of a deal to pass up for a tight butt like myself :) ... Plus the AutoArc's, Hobart's, and Millers are all made in the same factory right here in the USA!

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:15 PM

It's hard to beat a Lincoln! And the support from their techs if you have a problem are absolutely amazing!

:ditto:

I have a lincoln stick and it works great.But would like a gas welder at some point.

#11 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Congrats on the new welder. I have a little Lincoln 115 volt mig welder that has seen a lot of weld wire. It's nice to be able to pick it up and take it out to run off an extension cord or at a remote site without getting a hernia trying to move it!

As long as you don't get too ambitious (size of metal welding), these little welders can do a lot. With different gas mix, you can weld LIGHT aluminum, stainless, etc. If you try to weld aluminum, spend the money to get the teflon liner for the gun line - it cuts way down on the number of jams you get feeding the softer aluminum wire.

Not sure of your experience with MIG, but you can weld a lot of pretty welds that don't have much penetration (welds dont hold together under stress) - nature of the mig process. Make sure your metals are CLEAN and close fitting - you can't get away with weding rusty stuff like with stick rods. But once you get used to it, MIG is fast and flexible.

Anyway, enjoy.

#12 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Nice welder you got coming. I'v done alot of stick & mig welding in my life and like both for different reasons. If you like stick try some Allstate 275 rod, i welded alot of hyd cylinder rods up and you couldd not see where i was when done. Now mig you got to try some Lincoln Outersheild 71 wire with 95/5 mix. Gets penetration, leaves slag like stick but ends in a weld that looks like stainless. Enjoy your new toy!!! Randy G:wave:

#13 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:20 PM

I picked up a little 135 Lincoln a couple of years ago off CL for my light welding, nice little welder! I gave about 1/2 of new price for a barely used one. CO2 bottle cost me nearly as much as the welder. I've been very happy with it's performance!

I have an old (50+ yrs.) 180 amp Marquette stick for my heavier work. ~~ grnspot

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 07:34 AM

This does look like a good deal! And it lists a lot of different options for a 115v welder. 20% duty cycle is real good for a 115v, too. The only thing it doesn't say is whether it can handle .023 to .035 wire, but I assume it can because it shows that it can handle light 24 ga steel. Having the regulator included is a big deal, too. If you're going to TSC, you can sign up for the "Thoroughbred" program and get a tank of argon/co2 right there - though they'll own it and you can only trade it there.

Have fun with it!

#15 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 09:07 AM

I love my Hobart ! The thing works flawlessly unless you use the flux core wire...then it has a habit of arcing out the tip and the next 8-feet of wire are useless as it likes to pile up in front of the feeder drive. Otherwise, a great little welder. I paid more than $500 for mine, however.