35 replies to this topic

#31 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Jdecker, when you weld up your stub shaft, make sure to tack and weld opposite sides. Welding tends to pull things out of true. You don't want your stub shaft to have a wobble in it. As you weld opposite sides, it tends to pull it back true.

I was interested in this thread cuz I might have to make a stub shaft myself. I can't see paying over $100 for that little piece of metal (if you can get one for your engine...). I plan to use round oversize bar stock (solid), then after it's welded up, put it in the lathe and true the shaft up, turning it down to the final dimension. Just something to think about...

#32 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 18, 2011 - 08:42 PM

well i wont be welding it. since the power mechanics department in my school has everything i need, im not going to be doing much, they will lol. there gonna plasma cut my steel and make all welds lol. saves me a nice chunk of change. i could do it myself but y not let other kids have practice at what they wanna be professionals at and let me get work done for free. its win-win for sure.

#33 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Sweeeeeetttt!!!!!

#34 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:41 PM

yeah, im strapped for cash so ive got my bolens hydro lift on ebay in hopes of someone atleast bidding the 200 so i can afford to finish my project.

#35 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I would think someone would snap that up. That seems pretty reasonable to me for all that's included. Especially if it is in good working order.

#36 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 19, 2011 - 08:56 PM

yeah, the only thing i dont have is the 2 pieces of metal it sat on. but the engine was on them i think and i was an hour late to trade the tractor for the engine, the guy might have been mad if i was 2 hours late lol. but they can be made easy.