#1 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Has any one else had this problem? I was showing a friend of mine the h14 I brought home a week ago. He was sitting on it, and happened to turn the steering wheel a little. I saw the front end move when he did that. With a little research I discovered that both bolts on the left side of the front end (where the front part of the tractor bolts onto the tube) were broken off.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Kind of. Many years ago I used to blade snow with a '73 G14 and a Wheelhorse blade that didn't have a trip feature. My bolts didn't break - it broke the entire front casting around three of the four bolts that hold it to the tractors frame. I took it to a machine shop to get it fixed and they charged me almost $100 to braze it up, drill new holes, and cut threads. I almost fell over when I got the bill. He wasn't out of line for the work he did/time he spent, but it really cut into the $200 I made that day cleaning sidewalks. :wallbanging:
Maybe with a blue wrench [torch] you could persuade the broken bolts out.

#3 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 09:27 PM

I already fixed it. I supported the front of the tractor, took off the hood, unbolted the steering arm, unbolted the belt keeper for the pto, backed it off, and took the front end off. Then I drilled out the 2 broken bolts (I have had some recent bad experience at this) and backed them both out with an easy out. I went ahead and ran a tap into all 4 holes, bought new bolts, and put it back together. I had to unbolt the motor and lift/pry it up to get the 2 bolts in that are right in front of the motor. Kinda a pain in the you know what but now I know how the front of this tractor is put together. I almost bought hardened bolts at the hardware store to replace the broken ones, but then I thought about it and what if I had to do it again, so I replaced them with the same type. Wish I had taken pictures..I coulda posted them.

#4 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 12:37 AM

Glad you got it fixed and it sounds like you did a good job of it!!

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 04:30 AM

I have had that problem. I think it must be somewhat common,as 3 of the tractors I have bought,have had this problem.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 06:47 AM

I have had that problem. I think it must be somewhat common,as 3 of the tractors I have bought,have had this problem.

:ditto:
I've had one or two like this as well

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:02 AM

It is probably more due to age/rust/corrosion/loosening over time/etc as they rarely broke when these tractors were younger.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:17 AM

It is probably more due to age/rust/corrosion/loosening over time/etc as they rarely broke when these tractors were younger.

No argument from me on that,I'm sure that it is an "age" thing.