• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:19 PM

The other day, it was charging fine.....today, not so much......Amp meter is minus when running. There are 2 wires coming from the stator to the regulator, no power there when running. I do have power at the other wire on the regulator that goes to the ignition switch.

I am trying to determine if its the stator or regulator......Should I get power from the stator with it disconnected from the regulator when the engine is running?

#2 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:27 PM

those 2 wires from the stator are ac voltage. the "other" wire should be dc and producing more than 12v. if it's better than 12volts dc and more power than what your batt is showing, it's charging. just not to the battery. check your inline fuse.
  • poncho62 said thank you

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:42 PM

So, I wont see voltage with a DC test light on those 2 wires from the stator,,,,need to use my meter on AC?

I am getting about 12.5 volts DC on that other wire, but the amp gauge is on the minus side of the zero......

#4 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:53 PM

yep! you need the ac tester on them 2 wires:smile1:
the middle or seperate wire is the one that dishes out the dc and you need to check and compare the voltage between it and the battery. remember, this wire is basicly hooked up to the battery and will read out the same voltage the battery is maintaining.
the best method for testing is checking the voltage when the engine is running and when it isn't. if the voltage is the same (or less when running) it aint charging.
the regulator also needs to "see" the battery to energize and charge. if the battery isn't hooked up, it won't go to charge.:smile1:

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Engine reved up at least halfway, both wires coming from stator should measure 28-36v ac if it does, clean and check your terminals at the regulator , if all is good and you still get a minus charge, your regulator is done.

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 07:20 AM

OK....when testing for AC from the stator, do I put one lead on each wire to the tester or do I do each separately and the black to ground?...and do I test them hooked to the regulator or unhooked from the regulator?

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 07:54 AM

One lead to each wire, remember its alternating current .