Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:16 AM

I was thinking of keeping this one before this has got me thinking about it again this one is pretty complete

Manuals for the Gardener and attachments are posted at:
Bolens Walk Behinds - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
  • Littledeere said thank you

#17 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Bruce it does say BR6 I can read it win I know what I am looking for and has a gear reduction here is a pic of the other side
I was thinking of keeping this one before this has got me thinking about it again this one is pretty complete

Can you read the serial number? We can check when it was built.

#18 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:22 AM

I believe that is a B&S engine on the Gardener. .....If so, it would be a 1949 Bolens model B6A4 or B6A5, as that was the only year a B&S engine was used on some tractors.

Bruce, do you have any factory literature that supports this statement? I was able to check my Gardener last night and the engine was built in June of 47. There is no model number on the tag, just a serial number that starts with G. As far as I know, there is no way to date anything by this serial number. Do You have anything on that? The other thing is that the B series engine production ended in Jan 48. Either they were using engines that were a year or two old or it would be that 49 was when they quit using the Briggs on the Gardener. I've never seen a Gardener with anything but the Wisconsin or the BR6 Briggs.

Edited by olcowhand, October 13, 2011 - 08:17 PM.
repaired quote

• Littledeere said thank you

#19 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Does 300369 make any sence thats all I can read after the BR6

The Gardner tractor manual has the other eng but the pics on the attachments looks like the one I have ,great info there the tractor looks the same just the eng is different

Edited by Littledeere, October 13, 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Bruce, do you have any factory literature that supports this statement? I was able to check my Gardener last night and the engine was built in June of 47. There is no model number on the tag, just a serial number that starts with G. As far as I know, there is no way to date anything by this serial number. Do You have anything on that? The other thing is that the B series engine production ended in Jan 48. Either they were using engines that were a year or two old or it would be that 49 was when they quit using the Briggs on the Gardener. I've never seen a Gardener with anything but the Wisconsin or the BR6 Briggs.

Doug: I can only go by paperwork that was issued to Bolens dealers in the past. .....I was born in 1948, so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Here is a link to Bolens tractor production which was provided to some dealers back in 1963 or 1964:
Bolens Garden Tractor Pricing 1947-1963 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

This was my source for saying that the B&S engine was used on the B6A4 & B6A5 models only for the 1949 production of those models. .....B&S engines were indeed used on other models in that era.

Also note that Bolens listed the Wisconsin engines used on the Gardeners as 4.3 hp, while they listed the B&S engines at 3 hp.

I have seen a later (1980's ?) Bolens sheet that lumps some years together, but does not provide specific details of which engines were used in which years. .....I tend to trust the earlier infomation as being more accurate, as it was compiled 20 years earlier.

I also have a 1968 sheet saying that model A6A-B6A tractors were produced 1941 to 1947, and used 1.75hp B&S engines. .....I do not know if these were Gardener models, as well.

This same sheet says B6A5 Gardener production started in 1940 and ended in 1955, and used B&S AR & BR engines. ......Ironically, it contradicts more-specific info found on the same page.

Of course, this info is based on printed data. ......What actually happened on the assembly line is anybody's guess.

It is not uncommon to see any brand of equipment with engines manufactured 1-3 years before the equipment was built. .....Manufacturers often had to buy engines in bulk to get the best price, or to meet minimum quantities. ....If they were not used in the same year, the engines were put on equipment in the next year, or longer, until inventory was depleted.

Also, we must remember that in the case of the Bolens Gardeners, these tractors are 55-64 years old. .....Some of these engines may have been replaced in their lifetime.

Companies also continued selling equipment in inventory, after production of a certain model had been discontinued. ......I have heard some people insist that their's is a newer model because it was purchased in a certain year. ....They did not realize that they bought "carry-over" stock from the manufacturer's, distributor's, or dealer's inventory.

As far as trying to identify age of Bolens tractors by serial numbers, I have never seen any info provided by Bolens linking serial numbers to year of production.
  • Bolens 1000, DougT and Littledeere have said thanks

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Bruce, sorry for the delay in getting back to this, it has been a busy fall and I haven't had time to search farther. The sheet you posted is one I hadn't seen before, it is definately interesting. Seems to me one of the problems with the Bolens of this vintage is that they didn't list a model on the tag, only the serial number. Just this past summer I came up with more info on a tractor that i had been studying for some time. See the thread here:http://gardentractor...lk-behind-3940/ I knew this tractor looked Bolens built but had only seen it sold through Wards. I'd seen the tractor with the Hummer engine and also a Lauson in the Wards orange and green scheme. This past summer an old friend that had been associated with a Bolens dealership had one restored in the Bolens colors. He claimed it to be a model B or BR. (crs!) At the Portland show I found a piece of Bolens literature for the BR with the Briggs. It looks to be a version of the model WM engine. I'd think it would have been stretching it to be 1 3/4 HP though. When things slow down here I'll try to get some pics up and we can discuss this further. Maybe I should start a new thread instead of hijacking this one??
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#22 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here is a Bolens Huski Gardener. It has a BR-6 Briggs and Stratton engine. The serial number starts with the letter G.

Attached Thumbnails

• huski 1.jpg
  • HUSKI.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you