Garden Tractor Forums banner

Wisconsin TRA-10D flywheel timing marks (Bolens 1050)

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MyBolens1053 
#1 ·
I dressed the points on my 1050 today and am trying to static time the Wisconsin TRA-10D engine. I guessed at the advance timing mark and now it won't start! All I've seen on the flywheel are 5 indentions. I selected the middle one and adjusted the points off that, using my multimeter to check continuity. The engine was on compression stroke. So, my question, what is the advance timing mark? I could not find this in the manual.

Thanks!
Trent

#2 ·
There should be a groove in the flywheel. The indentions are just drilled for balancing the flywheel. Look very closely and you should find this groove. Sort of like a groove a hacksaw blade would cut.
Remember to have the mark on the compression stroke.

#4 ·
olcowhand said:
There should be a groove in the flywheel. The indentions are just drilled for balancing the flywheel. Look very closely and you should find this groove. Sort of like a groove a hacksaw blade would cut.
Remember to have the mark on the compression stroke.
:ditto:

Once the shroud is on the engine, the mark on the flywheel should be lined up with the cut-out slot.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have only ever adjusted timing on a points engine by adjusting the gap on the points per the spec in the owners manuals.
That is the way I have timed engines for years. But I found out a couple years ago that on a Briggs cast iron rope start 10 HP that it starts better, runs better and the points and condenser last a lot longer when it is timed using a strobe light. Pickey old thing that will never wear out as long as I have enough ump to pull the rope. Gets harder every years and it is on my wood splitter. Runs about 20 hours a year.

#9 ·
Didn't see this mentioned but I'll say it if you need it.

TrA-10D Set the initial gap of your points to .020 (20 thousandths) and then use the test light or your ohm meter to hone in the setting. It really settles in more around .018~.019 inch where the motor is happy.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.