I noticed that some of the nuts on the axle mounting U-bolts were rusted badly.
Scrounging thru my supply of U-bolts, I found two matching sets that were the right diameter and the right length but were a half inch wider.
I removed the old U-bolts and mounted up the new ones with a piece of 1/4 inch flat steel on each side of the axle to take up the space.
The original mounting pads had slotted holes so the wider U-bolts still fit thru them.
I went ahead and reused the old pads along with the new pads for extra strength.
After bending one of the old U-bolts a little, I welded it to the trailer tongue.
This can be used to hook a com-along or a tie down chain to.
One of these old U-bolts will also be welded to each side of the frame behind the fenders for use as tie down hooks.
Because I'm going to make this trailer more useable as a utility trailer, I've decided to go ahead and extend the front of the deck so I took it out to where the front of the old horse trailer was on the tongue.
I've also decided to inclose it in some so I built a frame work around the front out of 2 inch square tube and 2 inch angle iron.
There are two sections of angle iron supporting the center of the crossbar.
This will be left open between them for access to the hook on the tongue.
The ends of the upper square tube on the top of the fenders also have a hook built into them for tying stuff down.
The sides are being filled in front of the fenders with rest of the metal left over from the center piece from the top of the horse trailer.
Here's how they look on the inside.
I need to close in the front with some flat metal but the only metal that is left from the top of the trailer are the two curved sides.
The good thing about a sheet metal roller is that it will not only roll a curve into a piece of metal, it will also roll a curve out of a piece of metal.
This is one of the pieces to close in the front.
A lip is bent on the top and bottom edge.
The top edge is bent forward to fit up under the square tube and the bottom lip is bent backward to fit under the deck boards.
The outside edge is also bent back to go around the upright corner post and fit over the leading edge of the side panel.
Here is how the panel looks fastened in place.
I put the tires back on and took it outside to get some shots of how it looks so far.
This gives me a deck area that is 5 foot wide by 9-1/2 foot long.