15 replies to this topic

#1 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• Member No: 6739
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hi everybody!
I'm brand new to tractors and this forum. I picked up a Bolens h14 with 30" tiller from a guy who had it setting for at least a year. He said it was running great before he parked it. I go it home and right off it won't start without a primer. Once it starts and warms up it runs away. It either goes full throttle to the point that gas is spraying out of the carb or it dies. I rebuilt the carb thinking it might be gummed up from sitting and that didn't help. I have never worked on small engines before so there is a hyooge learning curve going on right now. I'm wondering if a vacuum/pressure leak could do this and if the governer might be the issue. I haven't tried running it without the governer. And, of course, I'm looking to gain some wisdom from the vast pool of great knowledge here on this site. (did that sound schmoozy or what?) Seriously, any help or advice would really be appreciated!

I'll post some pics later when I can get to downloading them.

Edited by JDBrian, October 07, 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 03:24 PM

bolensmaid,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

Did you just clean it,or did you put a new kit in it?

#3 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 03:27 PM

I cleaned it, soaked it and put in a new kit.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Did the kit come with new needle valve? If not,does the old one have a groove worn in it?I know I don't need to ask this,but did you blow all the passageways out with air?

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Did the kit come with new needle valve? If not,does the old one have a groove worn in it?I know I don't need to ask this,but did you blow all the passageways out with air?

:ditto:

Welcome to GTT :wave:

#6 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.

#7 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Unleaded "scales" when let set...

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 12:09 AM

Welcome, and I hope you get er runnin smooth soon!

#9 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm pretty excited about the tractor and can't wait to use it!

mjodrey,
I don't have a compressor so after I soaked the carb I blew out all the orifices with a can of B12 carb cleaner. I thought it might be good enough but I'm not sure. You think I might still have something plugged up? And the kit did come with a new needle valve.

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 11:49 PM

If you dont have a compresor you might try running a bread tie wire through the passages just to make sure. I would also clean out the gas tank you would be supprized at all the debre that gets inside. also check your filter and blow out your gas lines. It does'nt help the carb if your tank or lines keep feeding it crud.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 04:37 AM

mjodrey,
I don't have a compressor so after I soaked the carb I blew out all the orifices with a can of B12 carb cleaner. I thought it might be good enough but I'm not sure. You think I might still have something plugged up? And the kit did come with a new needle valve.

It was just a thought,but yes,it is possible.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 07:21 AM

It also sounds as if it's running away... This could be a combo of things. The most obvious is the governor, but it could also have a bad gasket between the carb and block. Does holding the butterfly closed bring it back under control or does it still take off?

#13 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'm going to pull the linkage off the governer today. This way I can see if it'll run better and what my governer is doing. As I've been thinking about it it seems the governer is pulling the throttle wide open.

MH81,
I can get it to stop running away by playing with the trottle at the carb but it will sputter and try to die.

#14 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I'm trying to load a video of my tractor running but it's taking forever. I loosened the governer arm and ran it without and it looks like I possibly have two issues right now. The first is I cannot run the engine without some sort of choke. If I throttle up I have to open it up for more air but as soon as I let off I need to close up the choke or it dies. Second, if I'm actually getting the RPM's up high enough, the governer isn't moving. I need to be sure I'm getting up to speed before I troubleshoot the governer so I think it's back to the drawing board with the carb. I'll most likely pull it tomorrow and take it to a small engine guy in the hopes that he'll teach me something! Thanks for all your tips and pointers I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted on the progress as I make some.

#15 bolensmad OFFLINE  

bolensmad

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 06:59 PM

OK, I got a video loaded on youtube. Any and all comments are welcome!!!

MVI 1674 - YouTube