18 replies to this topic

#16 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Much obliged to you, that is what is fitted at the moment. I presume these are to slow the machine down? when i get it running i would be using the snow blower, snow blade and the rotary plough mostly, are these wheels ok for this?

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:25 PM

The pic you posted is the swiftmatic hub and axle. The spring loaded rod will connect to your lever. I dont have enogh snow here to use either a blower or blade but I do have the rotoray plow and 30 inch brush cutter. I almost always use the LO axle and LO gear when i do use my Gravley. When I use the the axle in HI (this is equal to an L with 8 lead worm gear) I find that it is too fast in either gear (HI or LO). Gravelys came with 3 different worm gears, these are for different speeds.
L=8 lead, Fastest
LI=6 lead, Intermediate
LS= 4 lead, slowest

Swiftmatic Hi axle =L speed
swiftmatic Lo axle = LS speed

The gear reduction wheels Take a L and give it the ground speed of the LS. Gear reduction wheels usually bring $250USD and up on ebay over here. I picked up a swiftmatic (Swifty) for less than $150 and I love it. I had almost given up on using my Gravely because it would beat you to death and try to run over you. They swifty changed my opinion of the machine.

The first three pics are looking down on the axle. Its caked in mud but it shows the pivot and push rod that shifts the fork inside the axle. The 4th and 5th is from the engine looking forward onto the axle , the 6th shows how the lever is connected to the spring loaded rod, and last is a pic of the hitch frame. I believe your second pic in the first post shows this.

PS. Forgot to mention that the Gear lever also controls the PTO speed, LO Gear is lower PTO rpms and Hi gear gives a faster PTO speed. The swifty only controls ground speed.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2551.jpg
  • DSCF2555.jpg
  • DSCF2553.jpg
  • DSCF2552.jpg
  • DSCF2557.jpg
  • DSCF2554.jpg
  • DSCF2556.jpg

Edited by coldone, October 09, 2011 - 08:30 PM.

• Sam said thank you

#18 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:25 PM

So it seems its an L8 that had problems with the hubs so they were replaced with non swiftmatic ones, i found the left hand side hub and it is just a shell, no innards or shaft in it, the selectmatic one has a lot of play in it as mentioned, i will just keep the current axles and wheels although it came with 10 or so smaller wheels, spacers, duals etc, i will restore them too just incase.
I spoke with the guy who used to maintain it and he said the M.A.G engine was installed about 30 years ago to replace a gravely engine for reasons long forgotten.
I would just like to thank everyone again for your assistance :smile1:

#19 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:30 PM

The laft hand hub is just a standard hub and doesnt need to be changed out if you decide to reinstall the swiftmatic hub.

It sounds like you got a great deal in the tractor and attachments, I am glad to see you keeping the old iron running.