18 replies to this topic

#1 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hi all, question time.. this is a Belos traktor from Sweden, i believe it is a rebadged Gravely, i know nothing about it or indeed Gravelys so is anyone able to tell me which model of Gravely this is?

Gravely2 (2).jpg

There are three levers on the right hand handle, the small one nearest the engine doesnt seem to be connected to anything, what is this for? i presume the other two are for forwards/reverse and to engage PTO ?

Also anyone know what this is for? it came with it.

Gravely2 (1).jpg

Many thanks.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 06:01 PM

It definitely looks to be a gravely.

Hopefully someone who knows more about gravely's will come along to help you out
  • Sam said thank you

#3 gwbgravely OFFLINE  

gwbgravely

• Member No: 6754
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Belos, That is a model L-8 Gravely. The 8 stands for the 8 speed transmission which is what the small third leaver is for. It should be connected to the bottom of the casing with a rod going down to that point. It shifts the transmission to a lower speed. The white hood says it is a 1962 to 1975. The serial number from 1962 to 1966 was to the left of the gas cap. From 1967 to 1975 the serial number was on the left side of the forward casing, which would be at the very front of the tractor. It has gear reduction wheels, that is why they are larger wheels. Normally it would have smaller wheels and tires. Model L tractors were made from 1937 to 1975. Gravely made there first tractor in 1922, which was a one wheel tractor. Two wheel tractors were made in 1936 by Ben Gravely, but only between 500 to 600 were made. In 1937 the Model L as we know today was designed. The model with the white hood came about because Studebaker Corp. purchased Gravely from Ray Hall, owner from 1937 to 1960, and gave the tractor a new look. The piece you show looks like a hitch, but I really believe it does not go with this tractor. Hope this helps to answer your questions. Glen
  • Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#4 gwbgravely OFFLINE  

gwbgravely

• 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Sam, I meant to say that the attachment on the front is a rotary plow. About 45 attachments were made for this tractor. You would change the attachment by removing the four bolts on the front of the tractor. To shift the PTO in and out there should be a rod on the left side attached to a leaver on the front of the tractor.

#5 pete50 OFFLINE  

pete50

• Member No: 6604
  • 2 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hi sam, on one of my gravelys the short lever by motor is hi-low range,the top right lever is forward/ reverse and top left on mine will speed up or slow down the attachment.
  • Sam said thank you

#6 gwbgravely OFFLINE  

gwbgravely

• 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Sam, That is a Gravely Model L8. 8 stands for the swiftamatic transmission. The small leaver should be connected by a rod to the bottom near the forward casing. The white hood says it is 1962 to 1975. It has large wheels, which means it has gear reduction wheels, and will move real slow. The serial number from 1962 to 1966 is to the left of the gas cap on a metal plate. From 1967 to 1975 they were on the left side of the forward casing, which is at the very bottom of the tractor, at the very front. It will be made of plastic. The start of the manufacturing of the Gravely was in 1922, and it was a one wheel tractor. The piece you show looks like a hitch, but I don't believe it belongs to that Gravely.
  • Sam said thank you

#7 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:36 PM

a step to get into your tractor?
  • Sam said thank you

#8 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:39 PM

not to sound ignorant But what is the tractor in your member pic...

#9 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Thanks all, the engine is a swiss made MAG with its own id tag, i cant see any id on the rest of the machine but for a number on the casing just infront of the axle, cant read it for now but will check it out later on today.
I looked and can see nowhere for the small lever to hook up to, likewise no lever on the left handle, just the throttle control.
I picked this machine up yesterday and this is what it came with.

Gravely3.jpg

Do these things freewheel? i cannot get it to freewheel, the wheels are locked but are free if you twist it side to side, they just wont roll together, any ideas? i tried playing with all levers but there is no way i can get it to roll, PTO jammed on?
Big red dog, the tractor in my pic is an Antonio Carraro tigre.

#10 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• Member No: 6318
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:53 PM

I doubt if this is an L8. Gear reduction hubs will not fit an L8 unless someone is a really good machinist and a tremendous welder. It is free wheeling but you must remember you are trying to spin the little 1 to 2 inch gear on the end of the axle with the large gear track inside the hub...the gear ratio is working against you...the gear hubs never disconnect. If it is in gear or if the forward/reverse lever is engaged it will not move at all. The attachments all look like Gravely L series pieces. They are very hard to push or pull when wearing gear reduction hubs. Hope this helps...wobbly
  • Sam said thank you

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 07:30 AM

The few Belos tractors I have seen on the net will out run a Gravley L. I think the Belos engine has more HP than a gravely and the larger tires were standard on the Belos, but I think yours may have the gear reduction. The tranny is a standard gravely, neutral should be both handles/shifters straight up and the PTO lever disengaged. They do not freewheel worth a crap.

After looking at some videos on youtube, I think yours was a gravely that had a Belos engine transplanted onto it or a Belos that had a gravely hood put onto it. The Belos hood is different, I dont think the belos has gear reduction wheels just a larger size.

Here is one snow plowing
Snöröjning med Belos - YouTube

Here is one grading a driveway
Belos 090521 - YouTube

Unfortunatley I only speak two languages (English and bad English) so I couldnt locate more vids for you. There was a great slide show on youtube of a belos restoration.
  • Sam said thank you

#12 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hi, im starting to think its a bitsa from 2 machines but i have no reason to suspect the MAG engine is not original, the first video linked to has a MAG, the second vid seems to be a two stroke, probably a JLO.
I got a spare bonnet with it, both bonnets are identical, both white and marked "Belos" although on the spare i can see traces of yellow paint under the white. My problem is i see nowhere for the small handle near the engine to go, i presume there is supposed to be a rod going to somewhere near the trans, but there is nothing..
Also in the spares pile is a transmission case which looks different to the one fitted, it has external oil filter on it with a Gravely filter and i presume oil pressure gauge, the belos has neither so im wondering if the handles fitted are from a different machine, will have a closer look later and try to work this out. thanks.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:00 AM

The small handle thats underneath the handle bar is the HI/LO selector for the axle on an L8. If the machine has a HI/LO axle in it, there should be a mechanism on the right side axle. It will look different than the left side axle housing. There would also be a rod connecting the lever to the mechanism. The outside appearance of the axle would have a sliding rod (about 3 cm long) that would push in and out vertically/parallel with the axle housing.

I will see if I can get some pics, later this evening, of my L8 to show you. I have to go to a family function and i will not be back untill tonight so it maybe tomorrow before I can get the pics.
A good site for gravely info is oldgravelys.net. It has the factory info for all the gravley walk behinds. It will show you the tranny and gravely engine.
  • Sam said thank you

#14 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hi coldone, picture would be appreciated thanks.
I found this in the spares pile

G1.jpg

Would this be the hi-low? if this was bolted into where the axle is the rod looks like the right length to fit onto the lever.
The spline shaft through the middle has a lot of play in it which is probably why it was removed.

#15 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Sam,
It is nice to see another nice old tractor saved!
the picture you just posted is a hi/low axle stub. It would be worth rebuilding if you do not have reduction hubs on your tractor.
IMG_1940.jpg this is a reducton hub that i just removed, that is the back side that is closest to the tractor.
I hope this helps you!
Casey
  • Sam said thank you